Thread: [COD1] Export any playermodel [COD2/4/5/6/BO/BO2/GHOSTS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ... connecting
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally View Post
    The tools used here are all for Call of Duty. COD does not run on the Source engine, and each engine has its own set of proprietary tools. So, the answer to your question is - no tools for COD will work with Source. If you want to port maps to Source do it like we did back in the days when we ported maps from MOH:AA to COD - manually recreate the entire map from memory!
    First the question was for php, then i know that CoD runs on another engine than source i'm not stupid, and, recreating a map from scratch ? Are you kidding me ? it would take for ever, it's hard and the result would be ugly as f**k and again do you think i'm that stupid ? of course i knew that it was possible to rebuild the entire map myself.

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DEFCON SHARK View Post
    First the question was for php, then i know that CoD runs on another engine than source i'm not stupid, and, recreating a map from scratch ? Are you kidding me ? it would take for ever, it's hard and the result would be ugly as f**k and again do you think i'm that stupid ? of course i knew that it was possible to rebuild the entire map myself.
    1. If you post in a public forum, you run the risk of anyone answering you. If you want a 1-on-1 with someone in particular, take it to personal messages. That way you guarantee no one else responding to your question - not even a Staff member like me!

2. I did not mean to insult your intelligence. But in my long experience of forum participation, you can't take anything for granted on a public forum. And that includes levels of intelligence. Hence, I laid it out in black-and-white, just like I do for everyone, so that everything is clear and stated explicitly.

3. Recreating another map from another game is time consuming. I have done it myself 4 times for Call of Duty, porting over 4 maps from MOH:AA. However, it is also very rewarding. Any bloody fool can run a program that copies-and-pastes other people's hard work from one game into another. That only shows technical proficiency. Not talent or creativity. But it takes talent and creativity to recreate an entire map from scratch.

All-in-all, it is clear you did not get the answer you were looking for, and I am sorry for being the messenger of bad news.

... connecting
    Thanks
    ok tally, but if you go in every topic and give an answer that appears useful to you, in specific topics, some people are probably going to find this answer pretty obvious because if they go on a forum to find specific info about a subject, it means that they already know the basics of that subject and it means that they googled a bit to find it, so you can expect this kind of answer.

About copying pasting a map, what you say is half true, in map porting, it's never that easy to port a map (unless it's on the same engine of course) so no fool can do it, but it's true when you copy paste something you can't take a lot of credit for what you did because someone else did the real hard job.I'm not OK with what you say about recreating a map from nothing, it's not at all a creative task, it's even all the opposite, but indeed it needs talent. Imagine a chinese dude reproducing a hundred of "la joconde" perfectly, would you call that being creative ? skilled maybe, but not creative.
    Remaking a map from scratch is not better than copy-paste, you are still not being the author of it (so you can't take credits for it), the quality is, most of the time, 10 times worst than the original, and it's not accurate. At the end, if you want to do a good porting, you'll have to take elements from the original map, like the textures or sounds, so why not try to copying the whole thing ?

I found this on a cod forum but no one ever did it the other way (cod to source) :
    http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2997.0

Thanks
    php can maybe tell you more on the CoD1 thing, but afaik you can easily port CoD1 charakter models back and forth to use in your 3D-modelling application.
    For CoD2 you have to use the XmodelConverter (v6) to export CoD2 models, however bones/joints arent exported.
    CoD3 was console only, and als I didnt manage to get it running on the latest emulators, but there are some rips floating around on facepunch.com
    Modding tools are available for CoD4, CoD5 and CoD7 and they contain almost all the model-assets, except for the Zombies in BO and the DLC's.
    For the newer CoD versions > CoD2 you can and have to use Tom BMX's Lime tool to get a snapshot of all currently in a map existing models and you are able to extract them, including animations(?). He also offers for the newer cod titles his xModel Utility for converting them, however it seems to be not this much going on on his site.
    You can also run 3DRipper for a snapshot and export the whole (visible) map to *.obj, but this app crashes alot and may be distorted as hell.
    I do not know if source uses bsp-trees for their maps (as CoD does) or simple meshes. There is a tool (search the forums here) for extracting CoD1 and CoD2 levels to the CoD .MAP format, i guess its straightforward to convert it to another bsp format then.
    There are no other tools (except 3DRipper etc) for extracting/converting CoD maps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to serthy For This Useful Post:

DEFCON SHARK (25th November 2014)