Thread: Low max player count Call of Duty 2 server

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ... connecting
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IzNoGoD View Post
    999 ping should not be happening in the situation you laid out. Please try running your server with developer 1 and see if there's any infinite loops detected in your script at those playercounts.
    Nope log didn't show anything out of the usual if i recall correctly but I don't have the log anymore. It was at the beginning when developer was set to 1 and it was not running any mods. Maybe I overlooked something so I'll set developer 1 tonight to confirm if I'm correct on this statement.

Whats the logic behind endless loops causing 999 ping by the way? The server is now running with my own written mod tho, but no endless loops are made before the player spawns into the game (playerSpawn callback), as spectators immediately get 999 ping. Those loops run in separate threats and are always end on disconnect, killed_player (self) or intermission (level). It's a very basic modification.

The funny thing is when this player count is reached, the new player gets 999 ping, and takes one other connected player with him. All returns back to normal if the excess player disconnects. Back in the days like 2004 COD2 1.0 I tried to run a server on my crappy ADSL connection. The 999 ping thing also happened when too many players connected. But in this case, all players experienced lag when the excess player connected to the game. It could only handle like 9 players so that's when rented a server at I3D. Those were awesome times .

Edit: problem seems solved, no abnormalities in log, and disabling the power management settings in both ESXi and host bios resolved the issues on my VM. Despite host ready CPU was only at 10%, with minimal IO and network usage.
    Last edited by snoopdoge90; 1st April 2020 at 20:37.