Thread: ERROR: ld.so: object 'libcod2_1_3.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot ope

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ... connecting
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IzNoGoD View Post
    Given the username, the necroposting and the general "feel" of the comment, this is gonna be editted later on to add some SEO link to some spammy website or other. Banned about 20 users for behaviour like that already.
    Haha nope I'm real. Just look at my first post, but you're right about the necro posting. It took me 3 post to realize the newest thread were kinda.. necro. I'm just so sad you don't like my username.

But what about the feel? I know most servers are setup in this way, mostly by gamers without any knowledge general basic knowledge about linux security. I like that people want to experiment and try new things, and do not want to discourage people to run their own server. But only to note, I know most of these servers are hosted on virtual private servers, the common attack vector is just bruteforce SSH - because there is no (hardware) firewall or Fail2Ban like protection. The next step is to find some easy targets, like a COD server running 777 - which is accessible by everyone.

So there you have it, I can modify that, make it run as root, gaining full control of the server. I've worked with a lot of (third-party) servers in my life. It doesn't happen often but I had to secure a few VPSes in which SSH was used as attack vector and wrongly configured (chmodded..) apps were used to gain full access to the system. You're pretty safe if your running only a COD server because there is nothing to steal - but I don't know what you guys run on your own servers.

My post here explains how to run libcod without needing 777 by setting the correct permissions and ownership.
    Last edited by snoopdoge90; 1st July 2019 at 20:36.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to snoopdoge90 For This Useful Post:

kung foo man (3rd July 2019)