Thread: Analyzing COD2/COD4 logfiles; Documentation out there?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    I'm trying to analyze logfiles produced by our COD2 and COD4 servers and I was wondering if there is any documentation out there that tells me how to interpret the logs.
    I know the game engine/server is based upon the quake 3 engine (sort of) but I can't seem to find any documentation regarding the logfiles it produces.
    For example;

Thanks!
    I can't improve on voron00's post as regards the log string, but just for future reference:

1. starting in 2003, COD1 used a HEAVILY MODIFIED Quake 3 engine (the engine was given to them by Activision, and it is the exact same engine-base as used in Return to Castle Wolfenstein - which was already a heavily modified Q3 engine before it got to Infinity Ward). So, you can't expect to find exact matches to the COD1 engine functions anywhere else other than IW themselves. As such, the logging function in COD1/UO is unique - you cannot find Quake 3 documentation on it because Quake 3 did not have this function.

2. Starting in 2005 with COD2, Infinity Ward wrote their own engine. COD2 has bits of old Quake 3 legacy code in it, but a good 80% of it is brand new - the graphics engine in particular is built from the ground up. As is the AI engine, the animation engine (IW created their own Motion Capture system for use in COD2), and the effects engine.

3. When you get to COD4, even less Quake 3 can be found in it.

So, in future, don't expect to find anything in Quake 3 documentation for the COD2/COD4 engine. It hasn't been Quake 3 engine since 2005.
    Last edited by Tally; 24th September 2015 at 09:07.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tally For This Useful Post:

CaptainSlow (24th September 2015),kung foo man (24th September 2015)