Thread: Running cod2 on multiple cores

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ... connecting
    Thanks

Running cod2 on multiple cores

Hi! I have seen that after a few years cod2 was released there were news about making a multi core patch for cod2.

Does anybody know if somehow cod2 server can be configured to use multiple cores?

Thank you very much

2. The Following User Says Thank You to richard277 For This Useful Post:

kung foo man (8th November 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 674 Posts
    The multicore patch is just to make it so cod2 doenst suck when a system has multiple cores. The game engine itself cannot run on multiple cores.

You could code your server in such a way that for example pathfinding is offloaded to other cores. Other than that (engine-wise) there's nothing you can do with more than one core.
    "Does not work" is an error report for a bug between keyboard and chair.

All hail Artie Effem

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IzNoGoD For This Useful Post:

... connecting
    Thanks
    Thank you! Our server laggs a little sometimes, but it's not ping lagg, but like missing frames from movement. That is why I was thinking that something is about the cpu of the host. Can you please confirm if this can cause "fps lagg"? The fps is not jumping, but the movements are not smooth - its hard to describe but for me seems that from server the cpu does not render enough frames.

I don't know how strong cpu would be needed for cod2 on the server - currently the vps core has around 3.7 ghz. Of couse I don't know how much is the "cpu time" from that, since it's a vps, not a dedicated server, I guess the same cpu core is used by even more customers.

May I ask your opinion about this performance thing - how to make cod2 run smoother / how to choose host (cpu ghz,etc)? Thank you very much, have a nice day!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to richard277 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 674 Posts
    Mostly the server needs to have enough available cpu resources. GHz has not been a good measurement for performance for a while - what exact cpu is your host using, and how many clients are on the server?

Also, if you open "top" on your linux terminal you can see "cpu steal" or "steal". If this is not zero (>10% is to be considered high), then your provider is selling more cpu resources than he has and you should switch providers to keep your gameserver experience smooth.

Above 40 players (or players+bots) the engine is not really optimized anymore and lags can start to appear. Also ensure your clients are running with the highest available "rate" and highest "cl_maxpackets".
    "Does not work" is an error report for a bug between keyboard and chair.

All hail Artie Effem

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IzNoGoD For This Useful Post: