Thread: [CoD2] Setup CoD2 with Docker

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

[CoD2] Setup CoD2 with Docker

About

Hello all. I want to show you how we can use CoD2 server in Docker container.

I tried IzNoGoD's method, I wrote my own and after some time I started to use Docker at home and at work then, in production. At this moment, I run 2 my CoD2 servers in Docker. Now I want to share my experience to Killtube.

Advantages of this method:
    1. In my opinion, this method is much easier than IzNoGoD's;
    2. And much more stable than my old one;
    3. All CoD2 versions;
    4. In this method you don't have to use specific OS (e.g. Ubuntu 14.04). You can use even Windows and still have libcod;
    5. You don't have to install any of CoD2 requirements to your system;
    6. Libcod already installed. If you have to use specific version or repo - you can change it in arguments;
    7. Last cod2_lnxded versions installed;
    8. Auto-restarting server on crash;
    9. Server health monitoring (with getinfo);
    10. Logging.

And before we start: all steps here I write for Linux. If you really want to have CoD2 server on Windows - there's no really much job, but all these steps you should convert by yourself.

So, let's start!

Requirements

Docker and Docker-Compose

Docker is a computer program that performs operating-system-level virtualization, also known as "containerization". Docker is used to run software packages called "containers". Containers are isolated from each other and bundle their own application, tools, libraries and configuration files; they can communicate with each other through well-defined channels. All containers are run by a single operating-system kernel and are thus more lightweight than virtual machines. Containers are created from "images" that specify their precise contents. Images are often created by combining and modifying standard images downloaded from public repositories.
    (c) Wikipedia

Compose is a tool for defining and running multi-container Docker applications.
    (c) Docker documentation

First of all, let's install Docker:
    Code:
    sudo curl -fsSL https://get.docker.com -o get-docker.sh
    sudo sh get-docker.sh
    And Docker-Compose:
    Code:
    sudo curl -L "https://github.com/docker/compose/releases/download/1.23.2/docker-compose-$(uname -s)-$(uname -m)" -o /usr/local/bin/docker-compose
    sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/docker-compose
    If you don't want to always write sudo to use Docker - give a permissions to your user:
    Code:
    sudo usermod $(whoami) -aG docker

Files

I left my docker image almost empty (for legal reasons also), so you have to upload these files to your server:
    1. main folder of your cod2
    2. fs_game of your server
    3. your maps (optional)

You can put it anywhere you want on your server. For example: I put it like this (~ is a home dir):
    1. ~/cod2/main
    2. ~/cod2/myserver
    3. ~/cod2/Library

Get CoD2 image

Docker image - is like a template for containers. You can pull it once and make a lot of containers on it. So you can save a lot of disk space on it.

You have 2 ways how to get the image:
    1. I created a repo in Docker Hub, so you can pull the image from the web.
    2. I also created a GitHub repo, where you can get a Dockerfile to create a Docker image by yourself.

If you more like the first way - no need to do now, pass this stage and move to the next one.

If you want to build your own image (with arguments, maybe), let's zoom in it:
    1. Clone the repo
    2. Edit build.sh file with your parameters (you can look available parameters on the top of Dockerfile)
    3. Execute it!

Setup container

Now we will setup our container (server) with a compose file. Create a file called docker-compose.yml (or just copy it from my repo). It's a basic text config file. Put there this text and then we will change it on your needs:

Code:
    # example for 1.0 cod2 server
    version: '3.7'
    services:
      myserver:
        image: lonsofore/cod2:1.0
        container_name: myserver
        restart: always
        stdin_open: true
        tty: true
        network_mode: host
        volumes:
         - ~/cod2/main:/cod2/main
         - ~/cod2/myserver:/cod2/myserver
         - ~/cod2/Library:/cod2/.callofduty2/server/Library
        environment:
         PARAMS: "+set fs_homepath /cod2/.callofduty2/ +set fs_game myserver +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 28960 +exec myserver.cfg"
         CHECK_PORT: 28960
    In this file you should change only 2 things:
    1. Volumes. It's a folders or files which would be available from the container. Format: local:container. You can see the file structure that I used in the example above. Change it on your needs. If you don't have custom maps - you can delete a line with Library.
    2. Environment. It's your server settings. PARAMS is what would be executed by your server. Change fs_game, port and server cfg name to yours there. CHECK_PORT - also your server port, it used to monitore container health.

Run

Ok, after all these changes we're ready to start our container.

Write in console: docker-compose up -d

If everything is ok, you can see your container in containers list. Write: docker ps

In STATUS field you can see container's health. After one or two minutes it should be 'healthy'.

To see server logs write: docker logs ID

To attach your container and use server console copy your server's ID from list (first column) and write: docker attach ID

To deattach press Ctrl+P and then Ctrl+Q.

Advanced part (optional)

Your own Docker image

If your server has some system requirements (like a apt libs) you can create your own image based on mine. It's very easy! For example, I want to show you a Dockerfile of my own server:

Code:
    FROM lonsofore/cod2:1.0

# vodka requirements
    RUN apt-get update \
        && apt-get install -y \
            python3 \
            python3-pip \
            geoip-bin \
        && rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists \
        && pip3 install geoip2
    All you need is just install your requirements. In my case, I leave ENTRYPOINT command and use it from the base image. If you want to change it for some reason - copy it from base image to preload libcod.

Server restarts

There are two types of restarts:

1. If CoD2 would stop for some reason (e.g. ShutdownGame) - Docker will restart it automatically ('restart' part in docker-compose.yml)
    2. If for some reason CoD2 would still run, but health check (you can look that part in Dockerfile. it's just a getinfo from the server, which takes each 5 seconds 3 times) would fail (e.g. server just freezed) - docker container would be marked as 'unhealthy'. But! In this case, the container wouldn't restart automatically - there is no such functionality in Docker. In this case you should use some tool, which would process it. For my server I use a docker image called autoheal. An example of my docker-compose.yml for autoheal:
      Code:
      version: '3.7'
        services:
          autoheal:
            image: willfarrell/autoheal
            container_name: autoheal
            restart: always
            volumes:
             - /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock
            environment:
             AUTOHEAL_CONTAINER_LABEL: "all"
      AUTOHEAL_CONTAINER_LABEL with value "all" means that all unhealthy containers would be restarted.

So, your server should be up even after freeze or something like.

Logging

As I said before, you always can look a full log via 'docker logs <container id>'. But if you also want to see a log file, you can find it here:
    /var/lib/docker/containers/<container id>/<container id>-json.log

Credits

In this part I just want to say thank you to kung foo man and IzNoGoD. They helped me a lot in Killtube Discord chat.

Links

DockerHub
    GitHub
    Last edited by Lonsofore; 26th April 2019 at 22:47.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lonsofore For This Useful Post:

amnesia (21st May 2019),kung foo man (25th February 2019),vanfreddy (25th February 2019),Whiskas (25th February 2019)