Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Real Goal's and reason for use codlib ?

Private
    Thanks
    All of my admin's (I mean that is above 50-60, now can't take thrue number) can kick, ban and change map's but nobody know real user and passwd for server's.

Thanks
    Well, it's your choice to have it disabled or enabled but a little bird told me that:

1. You can't actually cheat by playing with stock console stuff. (Chuck Norris can though, but that's Chuck.)
    2. Cheaters actually don't care about console at all. All the stuff they need (Aimbots, wallhacks, etc. etc.) are working perfectly fine without console.
    3. Binds (magic!).
    4. Most cheats can actually still open the console even if it was disabled, i can even give you a source code for that one:
    https://github.com/BratokHR/CrazyBot...nager.cpp#L104
    sudo apt-get rekt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to voron00 For This Useful Post:

kung foo man (3rd April 2017)

Private
    Thanks
    Ok Voron, I told you that I have to bypass disabled console ??
    Now you tell me same. What you answer ???
    Don't put theme to other train, please.
    Most cheater's can open disabled console, but disabled console is most usefull step for prevent cheats. So, What you, cheater or player ???
    Most cheater's can bypass all of the script's what you talk about, by what ???
    I also say: on all my server's console is disabled, and I don't reason to enable that. And You must say that is good, because we don't have any real reason to enable it. (isn't that ?? )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dacajoca View Post
    we don't have any real reason to enable it.
    It's your choice to have it enabled or disabled.

Most cheater's can bypass all of the script's what you talk about, by what ???
    Read #4.

but disabled console is most usefull step for prevent cheats.
    Read #1.

Most cheater's can open disabled console
    Read #2.

So, What you, cheater or player ???
    I'm a pink elephant.

I also say: on all my server's console is disabled, and I don't reason to enable that. And You must say that is good
    I say: I'm out.
    sudo apt-get rekt

Thanks
    Can you tell me names of your servers, dacajoca?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 674 Posts
    "Does not work" is an error report for a bug between keyboard and chair.

All hail Artie Effem

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 674 Posts
    This is going to be a very very long reply, and after this I'm also out.

I'll put ALL your messages in quotes here, and number your points. Then, I'll go through them on a point-by-point basis, and try to answer your questions/concerns.

Hi
    1. Can you, please explain, for me and other user's what is real goals and benefit's for use libcod?

2. I try to find something which I can't find i other "regular" script's, and I can't find any different's. Any different is: for libcod we need mysql, for normal scripts we don't. For libcod we need mysql server and client, multilib etc., for normal script's we don't need that.

3. In server's with codlib, latency(ping) on same server is higher for 10-20ms. So, tell me reason: Why we use libcod ??
    Realy ???
    4. Try to use clear installation of CoD2 on minimal distribution on Debian, after that try libcod with multilib and mysql, you can see difference's abouth ping.

5. I don't have any issues and other problem's with libcod, but my answer is: what is goals to use libcod?? Why we use libcod ???

6. I'm moder's and scripter's for cod2 abowe 2008, I try to find differences between classic scripts and libcod, and I don't find that.

7. I only find issue with CPU lopad and memory use. Libcod much more use CPU load and memory. What is difference?? Why to use libcod ???

8. Tell me any reason, and I will use libcod on my servers.

Realy ??
    9. Do you try this on same server ?? Any script don't have goal's about latency (ping), performance and other. I have to use few server's from same provider. Or If you wan't, we use same server, and we will try. You install libcod, and some script's, after that I will install (on same server), cod2 and that's script's without libcod, an w ewill see difference's. OK ?
    10. Ping from CMD is NOT SAME LIKE PING IN GAME. Do you know that ???

11. Ok that is list of known script's in cod2 since from 2005, what can used without libcod.

12. Send me any reason for use libcod ?

13. All of sript's in this list have in new etreme mod and much more. All of this rcon function's we have in php rcon and much more (like nickban, bot protection etc). https://ashus.ashus.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27.

14. So can you explain, why we install sql server and client end everything of that if we have that without install anything on our gameserver ??

15. When I read you'r post I have read to more of that script's is some updates of old script's.

16. Sorry, but much more user's use standalone, secure scripts and run their server's.

17. All you site is about fix for script's what you make own. Is that point ??
    Ok.
    I don't have answer, an let's go to see what you'r list realy do for server:

18. Mysql-related stuff: Useful if you want to access a database from inside your .gsc script : why any admin have some reason to do that ????

19. Exec stuff: Useful if you want external scripts to work from inside your .gsc script: This we can do easy with add line in config file and simply .exe command in rcon.(without mysql)

20. MANYMAPS: Useful to reduce client download size: easy, add fs_game folder and put some files in this folder (but we can't make much smaller maps, files like sounds, images, and map plain we need to have download: because cod2 is client-side game)

21. kick2: Improved kick function: in much more rcon aplication's we have automatic kick function's and ban IP also.

22. Memory stuff: somewhat useful for developing stuff: I don't know what you mean for that, but, if we need more real RAM on server, just start cronjob for clean memory

23. Printf: Print stuff to server console: what is this ?? All cod2 owners try to disable server console, for better performance : ttycon 0, Why we need to print and save this ???

24. getarraykeys: Properly loop through a key-indexed array: I like to You explain this (I mean that all user's for this site like to you explain: What this Work Realy?)

25. getascii: get ascii value of a character: why play game if we don't understand any word ???

26. gettype: get a variable type: can't exec without restart, if we need to restart server, than we do much more of that.

27. sendgameservercommand: most universally useful command, too many uses to list here and configstring functions: useful in combination with sendgameservercommand: do you hear for any rcon aplication for cod2 ?

28. weapon functions: useful for tuning weapon stuff dynamically: do you realy mean that every admin or owner of cod2 server have time to do tis ???

And much other useless function's
    29. Sorry, but now I have to go slip. We will see tomorrow to complete list of unneeded function's in libcod.
    Hi My friend's.
    30. Please don't be hurt. IznoGood, I'm older and, I mean that forum is not for insults. Thank You, but I only ask for goal's of libcod.

31. I see, this libcod is another way to implement known script's on server. Sorry for sa this, but all script's what you implement in libcod is known script's year's ago. That is not only script's. What can I see you implemented iptable rules in that scripts. Sorry Mich, but, you'r scripts about DDoS is few years old iptable rules and scripts.

32. For fake players: iptables -I INPUT -p udp --dport 28960 -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m recent \ --update --seconds 6 --hitcount 2 -j DROP (if some players some problem just try change hitcount per sec. This is old iptable rule, but work with fakeplayer's)

33. For DDoS protection (getstaus,getinfo etc.) we have getstausban: http://www.wolffiles.de/index.php?filebase&fid=4588

34. We have, also, many iptable script's (like Lars Ulrich Script's for DDoS, on some known attack's that have effect's, but, now kid's use DDoS booter's and pay for it, and make attack's with noproblem.

35. This is 9 yera's old scrip for CoD2, but work. But about DDoS, you must say: No way to stop DDoS if you not provider, or if provider don't have DDoS protection, or provider don't implement rules on his router.

36. For fakenames we have trydal_namechanger (don't know where I download this script, because have 8-9 year's when I download this, but this script change names of unknown players, and kick some name's (double name's on server) or name's what you wan't on server.

37. Many patch's make our friend Luigi Auriema, but, what admin is so crazy to leave console enabled ???

38. Sorry Kungfooman, I have many friend's who make script's and map's (in some time of my life, I do that also), but, you must to known some thrue.

39. You like to work script's, this is OK, you have some hobby, and make your free time on that, and I understand that, (some like tennis, some like phishing, some like scripting, some like mapping and so on), but, if you think about what is real number of server's who use you'r script's ???

40. That is same situation with mapper's. We have above 5000 map's but only 15-20 custom map's is on server's on the world. Isn't that ???

41. That is because scripter's and mapper's don't play CoD2, and don't really know what player's need. In that reason, because I have my own server's 9 year's, I just leave scripting (reason is new job too), and leave my player's to play my server's (without any unneeded script's)

42. Sorry to loose time for me, but, I tell you that like friend. Why you don't explain for you user's: What is Goals for libcod, What we have with libcod, Why to install Libcod, How to implement script's (for begginer's). I will find this site by accident, when I try to find some script for my server (DDoS is theme), but I don't know by today: Why to install libcod, and other program's (which is needed for that to work).
    Sorry for loosing time for me.
    43. Why Woroon ??

43. My server's was 1st and 2nd on the world, now is I mean 15-16 (because change IP, I must, DDoS is reason)

44. Tell me only one reason to leave console enabled ???

45. For player's change name ?? Hahahaha If you wanna change name, just leave server, change name and connect again

46. When my server's 1st in world. I have console disabled. Only cheater's ask me why console disabled. I say: that because you don't have implement what you need.

47. For now, I have way's to bypass disabled console, but cheater's don't know. And for this reason, on all my server's conosole is off.
    48. All of my admin's (I mean that is above 50-60, now can't take thrue number) can kick, ban and change map's but nobody know real user and passwd for server's.
    49. Ok Voron, I told you that I have to bypass disabled console ??

50. Now you tell me same. What you answer ??? Don't put theme to other train, please.

51. Most cheater's can open disabled console, but disabled console is most usefull step for prevent cheats. So, What you, cheater or player ???

52. Most cheater's can bypass all of the script's what you talk about, by what ???

53. I also say: on all my server's console is disabled, and I don't reason to enable that. And You must say that is good, because we don't have any real reason to enable it. (isn't that ?? )

1. The reason to use libcod is that it applies patches (on runtime) to the game. These are similar to Aluigi's patches, but due to it being on runtime, the scope of the patches can be extended by quite a lot. This means that for modders (not server admins, mind you) there are a whole bunch of new functions to use while writing a mod (like the extreme mod, or some botzom mod). I know badboy's servers run libcod, and you might have heard of his king-clan.

2. If you cannot find anything different, then you're looking at the wrong kind of scripts. We're not talking rcon tools or .cfg execute style scripts, we're talking mods, the .gsc files that make your mod.

3. The servers with libcod do not actually have a ping increase. Feel free to add me on steam (see link in my profile) and I'll set up a proper libcod server for you. You can then draw your own conclusions.

4. You're still talking about installing mysql. Mysql is ONLY a requirement for compiling libcod, and ONLY if you want to enable mod-access to a mysql server. This mysql server can be hosted on the same server, or on an external server. I have a server in australia, which talks to a mysql server in germany. This way, I can keep player statistics synced through my big network of servers. And to re-iterate: You ONLY need the mysql client, not the mysql server. If your linux distribution forces you to also install the server when installing the client, don't blame libcod. You can even disable the mysql requirement in the config files, eliminating the need for the entire thing.

5. See 1.

6. Libcod is not scripts. Libcod is what enables scripters/modders to use more functionality of the cod engine. For example, you can make a mod in which you drive a car with wasd. You cannot do that without libcod. Believe me, I tried (before libcod existed)

7. If you have much more cpu and memory load, then you mis-configured something. See 3.

8. See 1.

9. No, I have not actually tested this on the same server. I can however tell you that my ping cannot physically be lower than the result from a cmd ping, and my ingame ping is only 4ms higher than the cmd ping, which seems reasonable for cod2 overhead.

10. See 9.

11. The list I posted is a list of functions that libcod adds. It is by no means the list of STOCK functionality, all functions listed there are NEW functions, added by libcod.

12. See 1.

13. See 11, and the "php rcon [sic]" is a third-party add-on that only adds to the memory/cpu intensity of cod, and most likely communicates with cod through a log file. I have seen many server lag due to the log file growing too large. Libcod avoids that by having direct, mod-access to the things a player types, and control over wether that command should be executed. You can mute certain players by catching and disabling their "say" command.

14. See 4.

15. The point is to keep backwards compatibility (all old mods still run on libcod), but to add more functionality for modders that want to use it. If you don't want to read the docs (I admit, they're well-hidden), you're not cut out for using libcod.

16. Standalone scripts leave gaping holes in the cod binary unpatched. Any cod 1.0/1.2 server with sv_allowdownload 1 that does not run libcod can easily be taken down by a simple command. Libcod hooks into the function that gets called when that command gets executed, and instead of crashing the server, it kicks the player.

17. The point of this site is indeed to further the development of cod2 modding.

18. I run a jumpmod, with record times being stored on a mysql server. The lists can be accessed by the mod, or through a website. Other modders have used the mysql plugin to avoid having to write to disk synchronously for storing data, which can make servers lag.

19. The exec is not a rcon command, it is a linux command. I can for example, start a second server from inside my first server through this method. I know voron uses it for determining the player's country of origin, but theoretically there's no limit to what you can do with it. I could even call my backup script from within the server, without using any b3-like third party software.

20. As mentioned in 18, I run a jumpmod server. At this moment, I have 375 custom maps uploaded (2GB of mapfiles). When a client joins, he only downloads the currently-playing map (10mb of download). Then, when the server changes map, the client will download the next map if he doesn't have it already. This saves so much time when a client connects, and even more on 1.0, which does not have fastdl.

I see you tried to emulate this by putting your maps in main. This is a crappy practice, given that clients trying to run a local server afterwards will most likely be greeted by the iwd sum/name mismatch error. Also, it can cause some (incorrectly packed) other mods to crash clients.

21. Yes, but your rcon tool cannot show a reason to the player. It only shows the client that he's kicked.

22. Memory stuff is not intended for cleaning memory. That is something entirely different. It is intended for a way to store big amounts of data that the mod might need, without getting a "max variables reached" error. As of today, I am not aware of any mods that actually use it. Then again, you can disable it before compiling libcod.

23. Disabling the console will not do much for your performance if your mod is properly coded. If your mod is constantly spewing errors and warnings, then you might look into disabling the console. For developing a mod however, the printf functionality is quite nice to debug stuff, and make mods more bug-free.

24. Here's an example, where I input a string-indexed array into a function, which then slowly sets a lot of client cvars, as to not drop them due to a reliablemessages overflow error:
    PHP Code:
    setalot(array)
    {

self endon("disconnect");

cvars getarraykeys(array);
        for(
    0cvars.sizei++)
        {
            while(
    self getQueuedReliableMessages() > 20)

wait 0.05;

self setclientcvar(cvars[i], array[cvars[i]]);
        }

25. If you do not understand what a function does, you could try googling the terms it uses. However, you can use this for example to sort an array of strings alphabetically when you code around it for a bit.

26. I have no idea what you mean by this. gettype() gets a script variable, which is inside a .gsc, not a .cfg.

27. I use the combo of configstrings+sendgameservercommand myself to be able to set over 400 different images to hud elements. This is normally limited to about 32-64, and would require lots of precaching. Precaching will increase the gamestate, making 1.0 and 1.2 clients unable to connect to servers.

28. If you want to add a powerup to your zombiemod, like "shoot 2x as fast", the weapon functions are very easy. You can quickly have the script (mod) edit the weapon variables for 10 seconds, and change them back after the powerup ends.

29. The fact that you do not see what the functions could be used for is a lack of imagination on your end, not a failure of libcod. Although it has some functions that I personally do not use, it is open-source, giving me the freedom to remove those functions if I like so.

30. Throwing around age is a very nice way to kill a discussion. Yet, I dispute your claim of being my elder. For goals of libcod, see 1.

31. Libcod is indeed a way to implement a few of the "known scripts", that are currently available as third-party addons, which add to ram and cpu usage. Yet, I dare say that over 50% of the libcod functions cannot in any way be approximated by any third party add-on, as they do not tie in low-level enough to catch the function calls.

32. Yes, you can block some fake players by that. Yet, by looking at that rule, I can see that you can easily get 1 fake player in every 4 seconds. Using libcod, you can compare the ip addresses of clients, and kick (and ban) them when there's too many of them stuck in connecting mode.

33. Your getstatusban is a third-party tool that takes overhead. Having it included in the game executable saves ram and execution time. In libcod, the getstatus exploit is actually patched exactly the same way as in the (open-source, community-maintained) q3 engine.

34. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, the DDoS is not about GETTING DDoSSed, it's about being used to send DDoSSes. Here's a short explanation of how that works:

Spoiler:

Q3-engine based games use UDP to transmit data. UDP is a protocol that requires no handshakes, and, as such, the source IP can be faked. Given that a getstatus request is about 20x smaller than the getstatus response, this can be abused to amplify a DDoS to another server in the following way: (I will use 1.1.1.1 as my server ip, and 2.2.2.2 as the attacker's ip, and 3.3.3.3 as the ddos victim ip).

The attacker, ip 2.2.2.2, sends a getstatus request to my server (1.1.1.1). Normally, my server will read the request, and send back a list of public cvars and a list of players currently on the server to 2.2.2.2. However, if the attacker modifies his packets to look like they're coming from 3.3.3.3, my server will instead send that list to 3.3.3.3. Now, the attacker will do this 100x/second, costing him only a little amount of data, and sending a lot of data to 3.3.3.3. Given that I am sending out large amounts of packets this way, my server will also lag. However, my server was not the target of the attack, it is just an "innocent" bystander.

The patch consists of a quick storage method of the getstatus requesting ip, and rate-limiting that ip. This way, the attacker can still request it 100x/second, but after a few tries, the server will stop responding to his requests.

Using a third-party tool to do this adds overhead, especially given that you're using tcpdump. A quick look through that getstatus ban thingy shows me that the tcpdump is not configured to ONLY listen for udp packets. This will mean that it will also examine tcp packets, adding even more overhead.

35. True, but as per 34. I was talking about being (ab)used to help ddossers take down other sites.

36. That's nice, but with libcod you can control the namechanges, and deny them entirely. I can configure it in such a way that the other clients will not even see "x changed his name to y". Conventional (read: all other) tools do not have this, and cause this message to be shown, and to be shown again when forcing the player to rename back again.

37. I am. If you disable console, there are LOADS of ways to bypass that. Furthermore, most players like to be able to change their binds on the fly (at least I like to). Disabling console is an inconvenience, and it's like giving your son a helmet for skateboarding. You know he's going to take it off anyway to look cool.

38 and 39. Very little third-party servers use the scripts provided here, as they're very specific tools. However, libcod is used way more widely, if only to prevent servers from crashing due to malicious clients.

40. See 20.

41. That's like saying that, because you don't like fast driving, no more fast cars should be build. Ever.

42. See 1., and for install instructions, see the sticky thread that is inside the same subforum as the one you posted this topic in. As of right now, it is literally 2 spots above this topic.

43. If your provider does not provide ddos protection, then you're already one step behind. If you don't use any measures to disable the getstatus amplification attack, then you're 2 steps behind. Your provider (combahton) seems to be providing ddos protection. (they also charge ridiculous prices. I mean, 120 euro/month for a 1230v5 with 150 euro setup? I present you: https://www.hetzner.de/hosting/produ...erver/ex41sssd . Better performance (ssd), cheaper, and on a network able to sink more ddos than your current host.)

44. Changing binds, being able to quickly type /quit, being able to /connect to other servers.

45. That answers your own 44 already.

46. Cheaters ask you why you disable console, as it adds no extra layer of protection. It only adds inconvenience to your server.

47. See 46. It's a major inconvenience to players. Then again, you seem to be overwriting the clients main menu, which is also a big no-no in my book.

48. Same here, and I do that without the use of b3.

49. Show me ANY cheat that you can do through the console. Please.

50. As I am reading your replies, it seems that you speedread these. As such, you are the one coming back to your starting question of "why use libcod". This question has been answerred by me, and by others, many times by now.

51. See 49.

52. I have yet to encounter a cheater able to bypass my scripts. Even the most hardened cheaters have not bypassed my fps-check thingy yet.

53. I see no real reason to disable console to begin with.

When replying, please use the numbering as I have applied here. That will keep your reply readable, instead of making it a gigantic wall of text (Which i pressume this comment will already look like)
    "Does not work" is an error report for a bug between keyboard and chair.

All hail Artie Effem

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IzNoGoD For This Useful Post:

kung foo man (3rd April 2017),Lonsofore (3rd April 2017),maxdamage99 (3rd April 2017),Ni3ls (2nd April 2017),php (3rd April 2017),teufel (26th June 2017),voron00 (2nd April 2017)