Thread: Linux in VMWare: set screen resolution to VMWare window?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 753 Posts

Linux in VMWare: set screen resolution to VMWare window?

Hey all,

installing Windows + Guest Utils in VMWare always "feels" right, because the screen automatically resizes to the VMWare window. But I have no clue how to enable that for Linux.

I just read about restrictions for 100px offsets and other limitations induced by the X server (but couldn't even enable that). Somebody knows a way to make the "Autofit Guest" work like it does in Windows? Since there are other display servers like Mir, Wayland etc., I guess they don't all have the same limitations (at least I hope)?

Basically I wanna make a small VMWare image to play Windows games, e.g. starting with Debian Net-Install (around 300 MB), then installing only VMWare drivers, installing wine etc. and delete all unneeded stuff to have a small virtual machine which is able to run CoD1, CoD2, CoD4 e.g. with 125 FPS e.g. and a ready2go setup for libcod and CoDExtended, b3 etc.

The advantage is obviously that it's running inside a VM, which means we could allow server admins to "hack" the clients to break any kind of limits (e.g. implementing a command in CoD2MP.exe which executes a .dll from server). Any "evil" server admin would be caged in the VM, and the game itself would run as unprivileged "cod2user", while the firewall in the VM only allows UDP traffic e.g. (to prevent fucking around with the network).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vmware.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	1096

Well, having a nice resolution in VMWare is pretty important for me, I hope anybody knows how to do it.
    timescale 0.01

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 753 Posts
    Aha, yesterday I just tried apt-get install open-vm-tools, but I needed:

apt-get install open-vm-tools-desktop

And it also works pixel-by-pixel, everything is gud.
    timescale 0.01