Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Force-Starting Windows 10 Upgrade

Brigadier General
    Thanks

Force-Starting Windows 10 Upgrade

I have a PC which was waiting for the free Windows 10 upgrade now that the 29th July had arrived. It has been scheduled for upgrade for quite some time. So, I woke up this morning and checked to see if the upgrade was ready. It wasn't. So, I checked online and found out that the upgrades are staggered, and would happen in waves. Typically I am a very impatient man, so I thought I would download the ISO and burn to disc and do the upgrade that way. I found that you don't actually have to burn it to disc - the Microsoft download tool will actual just download the upgrade files and run everything from there.

If you are impatient to do your upgrade, get the download tool from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Run the program and choose "upgrade your computer", and it will do the upgrade for you straight away.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tally For This Useful Post:

Mitch (29th July 2015),Ni3ls (30th July 2015)

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Do the old games. like cod2, work on win 10?

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ni3ls View Post
    Yes they do, but you have to turn off compatibility mode for Windows XP (SP2). I found if it was on, I had no mouse input. Turning it off did the trick, although there it takes longer to boot up the game (I had a black screen for about 10 seconds). I think this is to do with the new networking in Win 10. I need time to play with this to see if it can be fixed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tally For This Useful Post:

Mitch (29th July 2015)

Private
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ni3ls View Post
    Works great from here, didn't even had to install anything. Worked instantly without problems. Even Cod1 and UO work great

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fabio For This Useful Post:

Mitch (29th July 2015),Ni3ls (29th July 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally View Post
    (I had a black screen for about 10 seconds). I think this is to do with the new networking in Win 10. I need time to play with this to see if it can be fixed.
    At least it is better than Windows 8(.1).

With Win8 you have these two options:
    - XP SP3 compatibility mode: No gamma control and no black screen on start.
    - No compatibility mode: Gamma control, but about a 1 minute or more a black screen on start.

Does r_gamma work on Windows 10?

Thanks
    is there a way to keep my stable Win7 and install Win10 besides (on another harddrive)?

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by serthy View Post
    is there a way to keep my stable Win7 and install Win10 besides (on another harddrive)?
    Not unless you want to buy a stand-alone copy of Windows 10. The "free" upgrade is just that - an upgrade. It needs Windows 7 for the base system to upgrade.

If you want to create a dual boot system, you will need to install Windows 7 on the second drive, and then upgrade that to windows 10.

Thanks
    Alright, thanks I'll think I wait abit longer.

There wasnt much I missed when I downgraded from 8.1
    (a little bit faster, some neat functions in the explorer ui, the built in multi-monitor support and the cloud drive)

Waiting for you cursing or praising of it someday

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    I like it very much. Especially the combo between the desktop and app page when u hit start. It seems to run all programs without problems. And I didnt get any errors (yet)

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    I'm still in that "getting used to a new OS" experience you go through when you first upgrade to a new OS. I typically hate it for the first couple of weeks, and then learn to fall in love with it. I did this for XP and for Win7 - hated them both for the first few weeks, then fell in love with them.

At the moment, I don't like not knowing where anything is. There isn't a direct route to control panel - you have to manually pin it to the start bar. I don't like not being able to easily go to Local Data folders - again you have to manually pin them to File Explorer for ease of use (World at War uses Local Data folders, and being able to locate them easily is a must if you mod for that game).

I like Microsoft Edge. It is much, much faster than any other browser to date. A good test of this is on websites that have pop-in pictures (Youtube for example) - if you experience pop-in pictures as you scroll down the page, then your browser is slower than Edge. Edge seems to cache them much, much faster than either Firefox or Chrome, as there is no pop-in at all (kind of reminds of COD2's LOD models - they pop-in as you get near them).

I like Task View. You can now have multiple virtual desktops without a 3rd-Party program. It keeps everything nice and neat, and you can always see what applications are open isn't of using the old Aero peep method.

I don't like the flat 2-dimensinal look of Win10. What happened to nice looking OSs? I know they've stream-lined it for mobile phones and Surfrace Pro, but common! This looks plan and boring. I tried searching for some nice themes, but all I have found so far are variations on colors and sounds, rather than overhauls of the 2D look.
    Last edited by Tally; 30th July 2015 at 13:38.