Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maya Model Export - Invalid Bone

Private
    Thanks

Maya Model Export - Invalid Bone

Hi guys, I've been experimenting with Tom's XModel Utils and trying to get rigged models exported. I get the model, then I use the .MEL file that goes with it to bind the joints. By that point, it should be ready for exporting. But when I try to export it, is comes up with an error saying "invalid bone j_clip" (or any bone, really - it shows that error for every bone). Anyone know how I could fix this problem?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by the_law View Post
    Hi guys, I've been experimenting with Tom's XModel Utils and trying to get rigged models exported. I get the model, then I use the .MEL file that goes with it to bind the joints. By that point, it should be ready for exporting. But when I try to export it, is comes up with an error saying "invalid bone j_clip" (or any bone, really - it shows that error for every bone). Anyone know how I could fix this problem?
    You need to find out which bone in cod2 (or what cod version you are using) is responsible for that bone j_clip and rename it to that bone.
    Also you might need to set -mi to 5 instead of 30 (newSkinCluster). That fixes the too many bones error.
    Last edited by Mitch; 24th February 2015 at 07:50.

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    all viewmodels in COD2 - like COD4 - have 3 bones: tag_clip, tag_brass, and tag_flash.

j_clip is from BO1 > onwards, and is invalid in COD games before it.

Private
    Thanks
    this just ays the bones ur are want to export are not rigged to the mesh u selected
    i uploaded my testfile its a cod5 player model with original bones and animation exported with maya 6 maybe it helps u i have not tested in assetmanager yet http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/Jsz0jy7C/file.html

source files: http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/MqY9ebKr/file.html
    Last edited by vanfreddy; 24th February 2015 at 14:56.

Private
    Thanks
    Mitch - how do I set -mi to 5? Do I do it in the .MEL file?
    Tally - I thought CoD2 viewmodels used j_clip... Or that's what I seem to be getting by looking at the "tags" for the stock CoD2 viewmodels.
    Vanfreddy - I forgot to mention that I am trying to get a viewmodel working, not a character model.

Private
    Thanks
    the files include mel file which shows what u have to change to get the bind working and the model exports settings also the same just open model export file and press selected exports it shows u what u have to select for the export

Private
    Thanks
    look in mel files for this newSkinCluster "-toSelectedBones -mi 10 -omi true -dr 10 -rui true";
    and replace it with this newSkinCluster "-toSelectedBones -tsb -mi 1";

Private
    Thanks
    Ohh now I understand. Be right back, I'll try it out.

EDIT: Nope. Still the same error.
    Last edited by the_law; 24th February 2015 at 17:19.

Private
    Thanks
    Shall I upload my files for you guys to take a look at? I'm officially stumped.
    Last edited by the_law; 26th February 2015 at 22:57.

Thanks
    Shall I upload my files for you guys to take a look at? I'm officially stumped.
    Yes, it might help us understand what the problem is.
    Anyway I thought that at least cod2 requires when you have for example the bone 'j_spine4' that it needs to be in the format 'J_Spine4'.

Edit: (compare the bone names between your model and the default model sample in bin/maya)