Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost A Year's Work!

Brigadier General
    Thanks

Lost A Year's Work!

This thread is a warning to always backup your files.

I had a PC crash yesterday while I was editing my demon mod. The IWD file was open and the system crashed for a hardware failure (it's okay, I am currently overclocking my CPU and hunting for a stable voltage). When I restarted and tried to open the IWD file, WinRar gave the error that the rar file was corrupt. I used several methods to retrieve the damage files (the built-in retrieval system and 3 third-party programs), but I lost about a years work. I could have sworn I had backups, but I was shocked to find I had not backed up my current mod files since August last year. I lost literally hundreds of hours work, the most important being the conversion of the menu language system from the Quake 3 one to the one used in COD4 (using defs and templates), and my rather impressive account system.

One thing I learnt about the way WinRar works (other than to backup your files regularly) is that if you lose any files, it will always be the versions that have changed since your last back up. WinRar keeps a record of your backups without you knowing about it (see the WinRar temp folder), comparing all rar files named the same. So, effectively, the retrieval system will simply pull (WinRar temp) files from your last backup and use them as a comparison sheet. So, the version the retrieval systems gave was basically my backed up files. Meaning these programs are pretty pointless if you have at least some files backed up.

Oh well! I have some serious work to be doing in the next couple of months.

Thanks
    lol ____________

Thanks
    OUCH!

I also had a harddrive crash the last weekend and i lost (luckily only) 3 days of work on my thesis
    I usually backup all my files with git + github/NAS

Thanks
    That sucks man, I know how you feel.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 753 Posts
    Oh man, that's a pain in the ass. Since I (also) know how it feels, I started to make backups long ago with rsync on Windows (some japanese edition, so it supports Multichar bytes or however they are called), of my 2 main drives. Already saved my ass once.

May we guess the manufacturer? I bet it's Seagate.

This is also why "sharing is caring" (open source), it prevents code loss, especially for oneself.
    timescale 0.01

Thanks
    I just accidentally deleted my RSA Private key alongside with other important files from my USB drive that I just just backed up on the desktop cuz I needed a clean Flash drive and cannot find it with recuva;x

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kung foo man View Post
    Oh man, that's a pain in the ass. Since I (also) know how it feels, I started to make backups long ago with rsync on Windows (some japanese edition, so it supports Multichar bytes or however they are called), of my 2 main drives. Already saved my ass once.

May we guess the manufacturer? I bet it's Seagate.

This is also why "sharing is caring" (open source), it prevents code loss, especially for oneself.
    No, it wasn't a harddrive failure (I have a Kingston 250 Gig SSD and a 1 TB Western Digital Black HD), it was a crash because an overclock voltage wasn't stable. I'm currently overclocking my i7 4770k to 4.6 Ghz (after delidding it to get the temps down), but finding the stable voltage is always a pain. Nearly there. Currently it's at 1.9 volts. But it needs a bit of tweaking.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 674 Posts
    I'm hoping thats 1.09 volts, as (as far as i know) since the i-generation, the memory voltage is linked to the cpu voltage, and ddr3 tends to die above 1.6 volts

Again, I've not been OC-ing for quite a while, so things might have changed since.

Still, anything above 1.5v would be ill-advised on modern cpus unless you use extreme cooling methods (LN2 anyone? )
    "Does not work" is an error report for a bug between keyboard and chair.

All hail Artie Effem

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IzNoGoD View Post
    I'm hoping thats 1.09 volts, as (as far as i know) since the i-generation, the memory voltage is linked to the cpu voltage, and ddr3 tends to die above 1.6 volts

Again, I've not been OC-ing for quite a while, so things might have changed since.

Still, anything above 1.5v would be ill-advised on modern cpus unless you use extreme cooling methods (LN2 anyone? )
    Sorry, I made a typo - the CPU core voltage I am currently testing is 1.190 volts, not 1.090.

As for cooling I am using extreme cooling - a Cooler Master TPC 800, which is a giant heatsink. You cannot overclock a CPU unless you do. You would not pass any benchmark test such as Prime95 if you didn't. As I said, I also delidded my CPU because I couldn't keep the temps down enough to go to 4.6GHz. I really do not understand how Intel can keep producing CPUs with such poor thermal compounds. I mean, it's not as if they don't know about the problem. Both the Sandybridge and the Ivybridge series were dogs to try to get decent temps on without delidding.

Thanks
    I haven't heard about cooling a CPU with LN2 because I usually have no need to overclock a CPU to an extreme extent but a GPU is a different story... http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2838380 This one was certainly cooled with Liquid Nitrogen as I've read it on some article a few days ago.