Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: COD2 Prop Flag Model to COD1 Via Blender

Private
    Thanks
    thank you , nice that I could help , I'm looking forward to see the result
    here then for all other flags http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/80324050/file.html

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Revisting this again - After trying many, many different deformVertexes (which is a Q3 texture mod), I have found the flags now have too few vertices. It looks like a piece of flapping cardboard. I would say the vertices need to be double what they are now (it looks like 3 or 4). So, 6 or 7 for the flags themselves.

this is of course, all assuming you have the time and patience to redo them for me.

BTW - I only need 1 of each. I can always hex edit the names of the flags myself.

Thanks
    Did you also experiment with the tessSize?

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by php View Post
    Did you also experiment with the tessSize?
    I have no idea what tessSize is. So, obviously, no I didn't.

Thanks
    Is this something you're looking for?
    You can play around with the shader if you want.

shader
    PHP Code:
    {

surfaceparm cloth
        cull none
        tessSize 512
        deformVertexes flap s 256 sin 16 16 0 .25

{

map $texturename
            rgbGen lightingDiffuse

}

Private
    Thanks
    hi ok here is a version with more faces http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/41550713/file.html
    and for other flags u dont need hex editing just rename the export file open with text editor and change the 2 texture lines at the bottom

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vanfreddy View Post
    hi ok here is a version with more faces http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/41550713/file.html
    and for other flags u dont need hex editing just rename the export file open with text editor and change the 2 texture lines at the bottom
    Thanks for that freddy. I appreciate your hard work.

As for using a Hex editor vs renaming the EXPORT file, when you run the compiler, the xmodelparts and xmodelsurfs file output is named 0. Hence, when you run a renamed EXPORT file, it too produces files named 0, and the tools give an error that there is a conflict between 1 set of files, and another. The only way around this is to either delete the first entry, or rename the xmodelparts and xmodelsurfs to match the name of the xmodel file, with a 0 on the end.

In all, it is quicker and simpler to Hex edit all the files.

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by php View Post
    Is this something you're looking for?
    You can play around with the shader if you want.

shader

PHP Code:
    {

surfaceparm cloth
        cull none
        tessSize 512
        deformVertexes flap s 256 sin 16 16 0 .25

{

map $texturename
            rgbGen lightingDiffuse

}

that's exactly what I am looking for. I didn't know about the tessSize attribute. I googled it when you first mentioned it but didn't see any relevant returns.

Thanks for the info!

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    For those of you who are interested - the following is from the Q3 Shader Manual on deformVertexes wave function:

3.3.1 deformVertexes wave <div> <func> <base> <amplitude> <phase> <freq>
    Designed for water surfaces, modifying the values differently at each point. It accepts the standard wave functions of the type sin, triangle, square, sawtooth or inversesawtooth. The "div" parameter is used to control the wave "spread" - a value equal to the tessSize of the surface is a good default value (tessSize is subdivision size, in game units, used for the shader when seen in the game world) .
    http://www.heppler.com/shader/

In the COD1 engine, which is in fact the heavily modified Return to Castle Wolfenstein engine, "wave" is replaced with "flap" (just like they replaced "ClampMap" for "map clamp"/"map clampy"/map clampx").

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Well, I hate the new XFire. What on earth did they do to it? It used to be so much easier to use. And now, you cannot locate your video files online unless you first launch the program.

Anyways, here is a video of me testing CTF gametype with the new flags (warning - you need good bandwidth to watch this):

http://social.xfire.com/video/62d9e9

(sorry for the poor quailty - I need to make adjustments to get it looking better)

The flags wave beautifully now. They have a real liquid flow to them, whereas before they were like cardboard - not very realistic at all.

I've only been working on this mod for a week and already I have run into a number of hurdles. Making the spinning FX took 2 days as I got to grips with the differences in the engine. The COD1 Quake 3 engine is very different from COD2. You cannot manipulate particles in COD1 like you can in COD2. For example, there is only 1 color for light - yellow. You cannot color it like you can in COD2. And forget the RGB functions - they are useless! In COD2 you can manipulate a particle with 6 parameters; in COD1 you have 2.

Then there is the scripting. You cannot remove something from an array after you've destroyed it - it returns an error that "the dead entity is not a valid entity". You have to remove it from the array before you destroy it, making it difficult to locate the entity you want to remove from the array once you've done so.

Other than that, all is going well. I pretty much have the heart of the mod done now - everything is broken down in universal files, so I only have to make changes to one thing in order to affect all gametypes. This is the most time consuming and least fun, but once it's out of the way, I can crack on with the fun stuff.

Anyways, to all who read this, thank you for indulging me.
    Last edited by Tally; 13th October 2014 at 17:15.