Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: COD2 Prop Flag Model to COD1 Via Blender

Brigadier General
    Thanks

COD2 Prop Flag Model to COD1 Via Blender

Hello

I asked serthy to do this for me but he is busy right now with college work, so he suggested I ask someone else:

I have been commissioned to port my demon mod COD2 to COD1. In particular, CTF gametype. I am having problems exporting the prop_flags to COD1 using Blender. The exporter plugins by CODEMANX are so outdated they no longer work (error - Mesh faces have no attributes). So, I am asking if anyone can get the exporter to work?

Also, my main problem is with the differences between the COD1 engine and COD2 - in COD2, the waving flag is done with materials. In COD1, using the Quake 3 engine, it is done by manipulating the skin. This is done with something called "tcmod". The problem is, as the COD2 prop_flags use 1 texture for both flag pole and flag itself, the whole thing waves. So, I am wanting the UV map to be separated into 2 - 1 for the pole and 1 for the flag itself.

Third problem - the COD2 prop_flag model has too many vertices on the flag itself. When you use the Quake 3 "tcmod" to flag, the flag ripples quite dramatically. I would want the number of vertices reduced to about 4. The flag model from United Offensive uses 4 vertices for the whole face of the flag, creating a nice ripple effect.

If someone could do these things for me I would be eternally grateful. Given enough time I could probably get Blender to start exporting again, but I simply don't have the time. I only need 1 prop_flag and 1 prop_flag_carry model done. Also, I need to use XMODEL_EXPORT v5 as v6 is very different from COD1, as Infinity Ward used 3D Studio Max, and the format of the export file is very different. I can do a lot of it by editing the file by hand, but the primary information must be in v5 format.

As I say, I will be eternally grateful to anyone doing this for me.

this is as far as I have gotten so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shot0000.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	339.8 KB 
ID:	782

I did this about a year or so ago, when the Blender plugin was working. But as I say, it don't work now! So, I am stuffed.

EDIT -

If anyone is wondering why I don't just use the UO flag models the answer is two-fold:

1. There are no carry models in UO.
    2. The flag models are not so much flag poles as telegraph poles! They are huge! And if I try to sink them into the ground, so as to show as much as I want, on some maps the model is rendered invisible. This is due to the shader manipulation settings for some textures on some maps - they use a clip definition which stops models sinking into them.
    Last edited by Tally; 12th October 2014 at 14:09.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 753 Posts
    Can't you just use an old Blender version?

http://download.blender.org/release/

(personally I never worked with CoD1/Blender)
    timescale 0.01

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kung foo man View Post
    Can't you just use an old Blender version?

http://download.blender.org/release/

(personally I never worked with CoD1/Blender)
    I think you've misunderstood me. I am not talking about issues of Blender from 2006. I am talking about the most uptodate versions. Currently, I have tried 2.62, 2.63, and the most recent one 2.72. The plugin that CodeManX created for Blender works on all COD games - including Version 5. But the plugins just don't work anymore for some reason.

I was given to believe by serthy that you know how to use Blender. Is that not the case?

Private
    Thanks
    hi all
    here i hope its what u need http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/2999046/file.html
    its the texture and export files i have no modtools to test
    i reduced the face count to 39 the flag use 4, i splitted into 2 object and made new uv map for both so u can use now 2 materials (both share the same at the moment).if all works i can uplaod u my blender version with plugins too

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 753 Posts
    Chatted a bit with php, since he is too lazy to write directly (he approved that I could paste it):

php: i would help him
    php: but 2muchwork
    php: and its UO
    php: btw
    php: blender works ifne
    php: fine*
    php: for one material/group iirc
    php: so
    php: #REKT
    php: 2 other options
    php: a) MS3d
    php: b) http://killtube.org/showthread.php?1...-BO-BO2-GHOSTS
    php: use the tweaked maya tools
    php: i made
    php: i wish him very gl on trying to do more than 1 group'd/material
    php: in blender-cod
    php: addon
    php: LEL
    kung foo man: i would use maya also
    php: no but i mean
    php: ive used blender
    php: a lot to try
    php: to export models/anims
    php: before those maya tools
    php: (some guy made in cod5)
    php: i ported to cod1
    php: it was a pain in the arse
    php: ms3d = fucked up rotations
    php: blender = cant have more than 1 group
    php: it'll merge all groups
    php: into 1
    php: when export
    php: AKA = 1 material max
    kung foo man: ah
    php: blender for anims
    php: is eeeeeeh
    php: sux
    php: maya is best
    php: i would then use ms3d
    php: over blender
    kung foo man: its static model lol
    php: Yes
    php: but still for static
    php: ms3d = 90 degree rotations messed up
    php: if u export
    php: blender = 1 max mat/group
    php: maya = perfect with
    php: new tools
    kung foo man: > realizing living in year 2014 and ms3d is too stupid to be rewritten easily
    php: i made one
    php: i dont know if i told u
    php: i made a dll for ms3d
    php: which fixed the 90 degree
    php: it worked for static models
    php:
    php: also i had a obj > xmodel_export
    php: but files lost
    php: i think
    kung foo man: ah

Well TL;DR: even if the Blender plugin is working, it might not support multiple materials, hence suggested to use Maya. I don't know though if the Personal Learning Edition supports plugins: http://extras.springer.com/2005/978-...176-0/Maya6PLE

I just worked with Maya (since the Blender UI is the worst interface I've ever seen, lol).
    timescale 0.01

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vanfreddy View Post
    hi all
    here i hope its what u need http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/2999046/file.html
    its the texture and export files i have no modtools to test
    i reduced the face count to 39 the flag use 4, i splitted into 2 object and made new uv map for both so u can use now 2 materials (both share the same at the moment).if all works i can uplaod u my blender version with plugins too
    Thank you very much vanFreddy for trying that. I will tell you the results:

1. The low poly flag is quite good, only it deforms when up close. Perhaps you went too far in reducing it?
    2. The model is still using 1 UV map and when I make the flag wave, the pole does as well. It needs to be 2 materials with different names.
    3. The prop flag from COD2 does not stand up in Blender. You have to orientate its axis 90% to make it stand up. When I spawn your model, it is laying on its side. I can adjust the angle manually, but it is easier if the model already has the right angles.

We are nearly there, but not quite!

Private
    Thanks
    ok i tried to fix the things i rotated hopefully in the right direction , made a copy of the texture with new tag "_pole" at the end now it should be 2 materials with different name and doubled the face count of the flag.

http://www21.zippyshare.com/v/8551448/file.html

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vanfreddy View Post
    ok i tried to fix the things i rotated hopefully in the right direction , made a copy of the texture with new tag "_pole" at the end now it should be 2 materials with different name and doubled the face count of the flag.

http://www21.zippyshare.com/v/8551448/file.html

Excellent! The flag is still not upright (it is upside down - I have to spin it 180%), I can now make the flag wave without the pole being affected.

Now, the carry flag is round the wrong way. Here is a picture to show you:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shot0000.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	634.8 KB 
ID:	783

It is pointing from front to back, whereas it should be from the back of the character model to the front - being attached from the shoulder blade to the front pelvis. Now, if you could please spin it round so that is like the one in the russian picture above, that would be fantastic.
    Last edited by Tally; 12th October 2014 at 21:32.

Private
    Thanks
    ok first 90 was wrong now its 180 then -180 should do the job
    http://www39.zippyshare.com/v/45710920/file.html

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Perfect! I can't thank you enough. I had you running round, I know, and I'm sorry for that. But the end result was really worth it.

When I'm all done, I will post a video showing it all in action.

Thank You!