Thread: [COD1] Export any playermodel [COD2/4/5/6/BO/BO2/GHOSTS]

Thanks

[COD1] Export any playermodel [COD2/4/5/6/BO/BO2/GHOSTS]

Maybe you've tried, or it seemed interesting but you didn't know how, because Infinity Ward at the time had such little info on it.

Well here's a explained tutorial I made for CoD1 with detailed images. I would suggest knowing some basic things of Maya.

For this tutorial I will be using Maya 2012 with the new export tools which you can find here; http://cod1.eu/thread-13.html

And you need the Call of Duty 1 Modtools, which can be downloaded from here; http://cod1.eu/dl/cod/codtools.exe

Other methods apply aswell, like modelling in Maya then exporting to Blender or Milkshape3D and then to CoD1.

You'll have to be smart and find some way arounds for MS3D or Blender since I've tried with FBX and MS3D and when exporting from maya to milkshape3d the bones/joints will deform, so what I did was export the skeleton as smd sequence then import it then export back as FBX to maya and finally rebind the mesh to the new skeleton then export back the milkshape and then you have a nice perfect model to export.

Exporting from
    First you want to choose a model you want to export. For this tutorial I will export a model from Black Ops 2 with Lime.
    http://tom-crowley.co.uk/lime/

Addionally you can use XmodelUtils if you have the modtools. (For CoD4/5/BO1)

http://tom-crowley.co.uk/downloads/?id=10

On how to export models from BO2 with Lime;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH8-3Zj32lk

1) Open up BO2 (Applies for any game Lime supports)
    2) Go into a local game, singleplayer or zombies
    3) Open up Lime
    4) List and load models
    5) Export the models you want to export

Model

Go into your Lime folder and find the folder 'exported'. In there you will now see folder(s) select the folder of the model you want to use.

We will use 'c_zom_player_farmgirl_fb' for this tutorial. Now in the folder you will see 'xmodel_export', 'mel' and 'ma' files. The xmodel_export ones are for an other CoD version. So let's open up the .ma file in Maya and see.

(There may be multiple similar named files of each, this is due to LOD. Which means level of detail the higher the LOD number the less detail)

CoD1 can handle a great amount of detail still, but I wouldn't suggest using the highest level of detail since you could run into a MAX of vertices for example. I wouldn't go higher than approx ~10.000 vertices for playermodels and keep the vertices per group/mesh lower than 4096. For static models I think they are lower than ~10.000.

I used the LOD0 (most detailed) in this case. This model has 9697 verts. You will now see a wireframe of the model.

Press 6 on your keyboard and it'll go to textured mode and you should now see this.

If it's white or it doesn't load the textures, no worries. Just continue reading.

Now delete all the bones/joints (these are COD2/4+ like and will require some editing of source_data before you can use it for now we'll use the CoD1 skeleton [Bip01])

Now if you don't have a CoD1 skeleton and don't know where to find. (Use the airborne model provided in the codtools and remove the meshes.) You can download it here in FBX format;
    http://cod1.eu/dl/cod/cod1_skeleton.fbx

Just drag the cod1 skeleton onto your current model and you should now see this.

If you look closely, you'll see that the model is way too big for the skeleton.

So go to the top menu and select all the meshes (geometry)

Then go into the channel box/layer editor

And change the scale of the X, Y and Z to around 0.4 (0.395) so it'll fit nicely.

If you noticed the hands are not in the same place as the joints/bones are, so select the 'Bip01 R Hand' and move it into place, repeat this for the left hand too.

Thanks

[COD1] Import any playermodel [COD2/4/5/6/BO/BO2/GHOSTS]

Make sure you check all the sides, e.g top, right.

Rigging

As for the advanced maya user they would probaby know how to rig it.

Select All from the top menu

Then go into Skin > Bind Skin > Smooth Bind (You can tweak around the bind settings if you'd like)
    (If you can't find the Skin dropdown menu go into Animation mode)

Now check your bind for any weird occurences or errors and fix it up with example the Paint Skin Weight Tool (Google for tutorials)

For some of the most common issues are;

'tag_origin' is bound along with the legs which deforms them.

To fix this, select 'tag_origin' then select the mesh of the legs and go into Skin > Edit Smooth Skin > Remove Influence

If you encounter any of joints/bones that you do not want to have influence on rotations/translations repeat the process.

You should now have a rigged model.

Then go into the top CoD1 Tools (If you have installed the python script provided at the top of the post)

And select Export Xmodel

Select for Save to the location of Call of Duty\Tools\model_export\<modelname>\<modelname>.xm odel_export

(Create the folder if it doesn't exist, the modelname folder)

Example: E:\Programs\Call of Duty\Tools\model_export\c_zom_player_farmgirl_fb\c _zom_player_farmgirl_fb.xmodel_export

Now go into Window > Outliner

and select 'tag_origin' and the mesh. After that go to Edit > Select hierarchy so it will select everything to export.

Lastly click on Export selected in the popup menu.

Now you will have a xmodel_export file.

Converting

Now go into your 'model_export' folder and go into your '<modelname>' folder

Open up the XMODEL_EXPORT file with a text editor preferably Notepad++

If you see 'Bip01FBXASC032LFBXASC032Thigh' these kind of bone/joint names, replace all 'FBXASC032' to ' ' (a space).

Now go to the bottom of the file and look for 'NUMMATERIALS'
    and change every
    'MATERIAL 0 "bo2_mtl_c_zom_player_farmgirl_body"' to the image used. (Copy all the images to this folder)

Asset Manager

Open the asset manager and make a new xmodel and name it anything you'd like and copy my settings over.

Save the gdt file

Converter

Launch the converter.exe in Tools\bin and wait for it to convert it.

If it was converted successfully your xmodel, xmodelparts and xmodelsurfs along with the skins folder of the model will be in Tools\game\main (You can change this folder with a shortcut and -gamedir "game/game_name" parameter)

Make a new pk3, copy the folders into it and now all that's left to do is edit your gsc script to precache and change your model ingame.

If everything went well the final result will be this.

I've spent some time writing this tutorial, so I hope you enjoy it and it'll be usefull. Please do not copy this tutorial, thanks.

riicchhaarrd/php/phpcod

I want to thank,

Tom Crowley for all of his wonderful tools. (http://tom-bmx.com) (http://tom-crowley.co.uk)

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to php For This Useful Post:

klendi11 (7th August 2016),kung foo man (29th May 2014),MeGaBooM (17th July 2014),Mitch (1st June 2014),pollo (18th July 2014),smect@ (17th July 2014)

Thanks
    Thanks for the tutorial. I just tested it for CoD2. The new export tools works very nicely with Maya 2013. I haven't properly rigged the model yet. So no results to show yet.

... connecting
    Thanks
    Hello php i have few questions and you might know the answer :
    - Does this method can be used to port COD 1 , 2 (and 3 if possible) models to Garry's mod ? idk if you are a gmod user, but if you don't know, it runs on source engine.
    - Can this method be used to port objects as well ?
    - I saw on the pictures that there was a piece of a "BO 2 looking" map running on CoD 1, so my last question is : Is there any way to port a CoD map to another game ? i'm interested in porting CoD content to source (especially the 1st, the 2nd, WaW and BO because i like them and there is not that much map or models from these on Gmod)

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DEFCON SHARK View Post
    Hello php i have few questions and you might know the answer :
    - Does this method can be used to port COD 1 , 2 (and 3 if possible) models to Garry's mod ? idk if you are a gmod user, but if you don't know, it runs on source engine.
    - Can this method be used to port objects as well ?
    - I saw on the pictures that there was a piece of a "BO 2 looking" map running on CoD 1, so my last question is : Is there any way to port a CoD map to another game ? i'm interested in porting CoD content to source (especially the 1st, the 2nd, WaW and BO because i like them and there is not that much map or models from these on Gmod)
    The tools used here are all for Call of Duty. COD does not run on the Source engine, and each engine has its own set of proprietary tools. So, the answer to your question is - no tools for COD will work with Source. If you want to port maps to Source do it like we did back in the days when we ported maps from MOH:AA to COD - manually recreate the entire map from memory!
    Last edited by Tally; 24th November 2014 at 17:56.

... connecting
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally View Post
    The tools used here are all for Call of Duty. COD does not run on the Source engine, and each engine has its own set of proprietary tools. So, the answer to your question is - no tools for COD will work with Source. If you want to port maps to Source do it like we did back in the days when we ported maps from MOH:AA to COD - manually recreate the entire map from memory!
    First the question was for php, then i know that CoD runs on another engine than source i'm not stupid, and, recreating a map from scratch ? Are you kidding me ? it would take for ever, it's hard and the result would be ugly as f**k and again do you think i'm that stupid ? of course i knew that it was possible to rebuild the entire map myself.

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DEFCON SHARK View Post
    First the question was for php, then i know that CoD runs on another engine than source i'm not stupid, and, recreating a map from scratch ? Are you kidding me ? it would take for ever, it's hard and the result would be ugly as f**k and again do you think i'm that stupid ? of course i knew that it was possible to rebuild the entire map myself.
    1. If you post in a public forum, you run the risk of anyone answering you. If you want a 1-on-1 with someone in particular, take it to personal messages. That way you guarantee no one else responding to your question - not even a Staff member like me!

2. I did not mean to insult your intelligence. But in my long experience of forum participation, you can't take anything for granted on a public forum. And that includes levels of intelligence. Hence, I laid it out in black-and-white, just like I do for everyone, so that everything is clear and stated explicitly.

3. Recreating another map from another game is time consuming. I have done it myself 4 times for Call of Duty, porting over 4 maps from MOH:AA. However, it is also very rewarding. Any bloody fool can run a program that copies-and-pastes other people's hard work from one game into another. That only shows technical proficiency. Not talent or creativity. But it takes talent and creativity to recreate an entire map from scratch.

All-in-all, it is clear you did not get the answer you were looking for, and I am sorry for being the messenger of bad news.

... connecting
    Thanks
    ok tally, but if you go in every topic and give an answer that appears useful to you, in specific topics, some people are probably going to find this answer pretty obvious because if they go on a forum to find specific info about a subject, it means that they already know the basics of that subject and it means that they googled a bit to find it, so you can expect this kind of answer.

About copying pasting a map, what you say is half true, in map porting, it's never that easy to port a map (unless it's on the same engine of course) so no fool can do it, but it's true when you copy paste something you can't take a lot of credit for what you did because someone else did the real hard job.I'm not OK with what you say about recreating a map from nothing, it's not at all a creative task, it's even all the opposite, but indeed it needs talent. Imagine a chinese dude reproducing a hundred of "la joconde" perfectly, would you call that being creative ? skilled maybe, but not creative.
    Remaking a map from scratch is not better than copy-paste, you are still not being the author of it (so you can't take credits for it), the quality is, most of the time, 10 times worst than the original, and it's not accurate. At the end, if you want to do a good porting, you'll have to take elements from the original map, like the textures or sounds, so why not try to copying the whole thing ?

I found this on a cod forum but no one ever did it the other way (cod to source) :
    http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2997.0

Thanks
    php can maybe tell you more on the CoD1 thing, but afaik you can easily port CoD1 charakter models back and forth to use in your 3D-modelling application.
    For CoD2 you have to use the XmodelConverter (v6) to export CoD2 models, however bones/joints arent exported.
    CoD3 was console only, and als I didnt manage to get it running on the latest emulators, but there are some rips floating around on facepunch.com
    Modding tools are available for CoD4, CoD5 and CoD7 and they contain almost all the model-assets, except for the Zombies in BO and the DLC's.
    For the newer CoD versions > CoD2 you can and have to use Tom BMX's Lime tool to get a snapshot of all currently in a map existing models and you are able to extract them, including animations(?). He also offers for the newer cod titles his xModel Utility for converting them, however it seems to be not this much going on on his site.
    You can also run 3DRipper for a snapshot and export the whole (visible) map to *.obj, but this app crashes alot and may be distorted as hell.
    I do not know if source uses bsp-trees for their maps (as CoD does) or simple meshes. There is a tool (search the forums here) for extracting CoD1 and CoD2 levels to the CoD .MAP format, i guess its straightforward to convert it to another bsp format then.
    There are no other tools (except 3DRipper etc) for extracting/converting CoD maps.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to serthy For This Useful Post:

DEFCON SHARK (25th November 2014)

Thanks
    Last edited by Mitch; 17th July 2016 at 20:23. Reason: added source

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Paho For This Useful Post:

kubislav23 (17th July 2016)