Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CoD Ghosts Dedicated Servers for PC?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 753 Posts
    To sum it up:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dediservers.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	881

(thanks to php ^^)
    timescale 0.01

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kung foo man For This Useful Post:

Mitch (16th July 2015)

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Nice art work. Shame that it is for a 3 year old game that you cannot pre-order. So, it kind of doesn't make much sense.

The CURRENT game, one that you can pre-order, is COD:Black Ops 3. Now, this game does have dedicated servers (but with matchmaking and no browser), and they are seriously considering releasing mod tools. I have been approached by Treyarch, and they have asked me if I want to be on the mod tool development team. I have no idea at this stage what that means - whether it means going over to the US to Treyarch's studios, like we did for the mod tools for World at War, or if it means them releasing the tools to us so we can develop them in our own homes, like we did for COD4.

If they are serious about this, and if it gets the green light, and they are looking for other mod builders to help work on them, I will put forward the following names: IznoGod, Kung Foo Man, and Mitch.

There is more to developing mod tools than merely learning how they work. More often than not, they end up involving program development, using C++ complier tools.
    Last edited by Tally; 16th July 2015 at 07:21.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tally For This Useful Post:

kung foo man (17th July 2015),Mitch (16th July 2015),Ni3ls (16th July 2015)

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Holy shit! That would be awesome if you guys can help with that. Not that my laptop can run the newest games :P I'm very impressed!

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ni3ls View Post
    Holy shit! That would be awesome if you guys can help with that. Not that my laptop can run the newest games :P I'm very impressed!
    Don't get your hopes up just yet. This isn't the first time I've been approached about making mod tools for a COD game, and then nothing comes of it. They keep doing this, and then turn round and say it isn't happening. But it does mean they are seriously thinking about it.

One thing I will say about what has been said - they are looking more towards Zombie modding than anything. I'm not even sure multiplayer is on the table at the moment.

Thanks
    +1 superb Tally, congratulations

awesome news, lets hope (they release something useful and you guys are involved into that, some serious shit Kung )

I also preordered BO3 on amazon (actually I want to play some competitive again, and maybe i can get my hands on some beta keys from amazon. you can canzel the preorder until release, so i do not loose anything. i think working as professional modder is hard, i guess no errors are allowed then (and I even get lost in BO1 zombie scripts) so good luck to you guys and the whole modder communtitty

8. The Following User Says Thank You to serthy For This Useful Post:

kung foo man (17th July 2015)

Private First Class
    Thanks
    Another example of something like this is that JD_2020 got picked up as Community Manager while he was running a website called codhq. Good luck if anything happens.

Hopefully those modtools include radiant or an equivalent but I doubt they would do that since they'd lose $ selling DLC.
    Last edited by filthy_freak_; 17th July 2015 at 05:52.

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by filthy_freak_ View Post
    Another example of something like this is that JD_2020 got picked up as Community Manager while he was running a website called codhq. Good luck if anything happens.

Hopefully those modtools include radiant or an equivalent but I doubt they would do that since they'd lose $ selling DLC.
    DLC does not compete with mods because you can't run mods on ranked servers. Mods are unranked. And players will not give up ranked game play just to play free content. Even unranked dedicated servers over ranked P2P is not enough to encourage players to depart ranked game play. The unranked dedicated servers for MW3 sat virtually empty. So, if you gave people the choice between ranked paid DLC or unranked free stuff, they would go for the paid stuff any day. Hence, there is no competition.

As it is, they are considering mapping tools for BO3, and if it happens, it will once-and-for-all dispel this myth that they stopped mapping tools because it supposedly competes with DLC. That has never been the reason, and it is about high-time this myth was ended.

Private First Class
    Thanks
    Hmm, I'm not familiar with the newer cods so I didn't know about the rank/unranked stuff. That is interesting.

And FYI I don't believe they stopped releasing mapping tools because it competes with DLC, I think it is more a licensing issue?

Actually thinking about it more, they could probably make money releasing community mods as DLC.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by filthy_freak_ View Post
    Hmm, I'm not familiar with the newer cods so I didn't know about the rank/unranked stuff. That is interesting.

And FYI I don't believe they stopped releasing mapping tools because it competes with DLC, I think it is more a licensing issue?

Actually thinking about it more, they could probably make money releasing community mods as DLC.
    The biggest issues is most likely the extension in the lifetime of the game: cod4 and cod2 (although less) are both still alive right now, whereas MW2 is basically more dead than cod2. The latest cod:aw has been plagued with bugs in mp that they told the community they would fix, but havent done yet, and the game will most likely die off quite soon, making way for the even newer cod:whatever
    "Does not work" is an error report for a bug between keyboard and chair.

All hail Artie Effem

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IzNoGoD View Post
    The biggest issues is most likely the extension in the lifetime of the game: cod4 and cod2 (although less) are both still alive right now, whereas MW2 is basically more dead than cod2. The latest cod:aw has been plagued with bugs in mp that they told the community they would fix, but havent done yet, and the game will most likely die off quite soon, making way for the even newer cod:whatever
    The problem with that theory is that the 1 a year cycle for COD games began with COD4. Yet, both CO4 and WaW had mod tools. If Activision were worried about mod tools supposedly "extending the life of the game", there would not have been mod tools for either COD4 or WaW.

Also, although we didn't have mapping tools, we had mod tools for BO1. Which, again, should not have happened if there was some supposed policy in place to not extend a games life.

In fact, this whole nonsense about some supposed policy about not extending a games life cycle is patently not true since the Master Servers would have been pulled and ended the old games as soon as the next game came out. Yet, they continue to run, and hence show that the theory doesn't hold water.

No, just like the theory that DLC competes with mod tools, this theory about Acitvision being worried about older games competing with the new games is simply not true, and doesn't stand close scrutiny.