Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dvar functions?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 753 Posts
    Did you understand my idea? It should work pretty well.

Maybe thats not what you want, then you need to describe what you need more clearly
    timescale 0.01

Private
    Thanks
    I want to enforce some commands on my server, but I don't want them bypassed by editing your .exe

I was asking if you can check what the maxfps (or other commands) by using functions. ex maxfps() drawdecals(), instead of going through the dvars (since they can be bypassed)

Thanks
    for me:
    i still dont get it, what do you want?
    what should maxfps() return?
    is it in c/c++ or in gsc?
    what can be bypassed when using getCvar("com_maxfps")?

Private
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by serthy View Post
    what can be bypassed when using getCvar("com_maxfps")?
    in your .exe, you can edit all the dvars to whatever you want. com_maxfps can be spf_xammoc, and when you do that, ingame when you type com_maxfps it will say that it is now an external dvar and wont do anything, but the spf_xammoc will change the actual maxfps

i still dont get it, what do you want?
    to know if there is a real way to check/set what the maxfps is without going using set/getdvar()

what should maxfps() return?
    maxfps() some way of setting/viewing the number that the maxfps is set at, but without going through set/getcvar() (since it can be bypassed)

is it in c/c++ or in gsc?
    both i guess(?)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by omnimouz View Post
    in your .exe, you can edit all the dvars to whatever you want. com_maxfps can be spf_xammoc, and when you do that, ingame when you type com_maxfps it will say that it is now an external dvar and wont do anything, but the spf_xammoc will change the actual maxfps
    hmmm, you wanna say that if I, as a connecting player to your server, in case i hex-edited my cod2.exe, cant access to com_maxfps?

i understood what you want to know, but i still dont get it why someone would ever bypass things like that
    i guess the only way to do this is to hook the exe and get the adress of com_maxfps and/or run some 3rd party proggs on it, but i really doubt that this is worth it

Private
    Thanks
    when you edit it, cod recognizes is as an external dvar

people edit it to bypass pb kicks, promod error screen (333fps, developer 1 etc) and other dvars that the server tries to force

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by omnimouz View Post

to know if there is a real way to check/set what the maxfps is without going using set/getdvar()

maxfps() some way of setting/viewing the number that the maxfps is set at, but without going through set/getcvar() (since it can be bypassed)

both i guess(?)
    This doesn't sound right to me. A server will ignore what dvars are in a client's executable because it doesn't use the client's executable at all. It uses its own - the server's executable. If you change a server's dvars, it changes them for everyone who connects and plays on the server. However, the converse is not the case - a client can have as many changes as he likes to his executable, it wont mean a bean because they will be ignored by a server.

That is my understanding of the client-server relationship. And its been that way since Quake 2.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 753 Posts
    Yea, thats correct, but his problem are cheating players, who just rename cvars. I told him how to detect fps-cheaters, but I have the feeling he didn't recognised it.

In the end he just can detect the integrity of cvars, which have some side-effects, which the server can recognise (e.g. high ping on com_maxfps=2).
    timescale 0.01

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kung foo man View Post
    Yea, thats correct, but his problem are cheating players, who just rename cvars. I told him how to detect fps-cheaters, but I have the feeling he didn't recognised it.

In the end he just can detect the integrity of cvars, which have some side-effects, which the server can recognise (e.g. high ping on com_maxfps=2).
    But my point is, even if they rename their cvars, it wont make any difference to a server. So, perhaps I'm not understanding what these cheaters are doing. How can they rename a dvar and for it to affect a server? I just don't see it being possible.

Private
    Thanks
    @kung foo sorry, thanks for that. that does work, i was just also trying to find a way to detect more dvars

@tally for server side cvars im quite sure that is true, but client side no. the server can set your client side com_maxfps or whatever cvar you want, but if they have renamed it, it wont work on the new cvar, only on the old one (unless you know what the new one is). can try it on a server with devmap if you want