Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guid 0

Thanks
    I never said that mod sucks or never wanted to insult them, the extreme + mod is awesome, yes.
    But it doesnt makes sense to save just the same.
    Like: I sometimes run as Unknown Soldier through the servers, sometimes as Earliboy.
    So i would always have a different name. Specialy like the community is right now, people changing theyre names like underwear.
    Specialy that checking name script would be more usefull for an account system to check the login name.
    A login system (name / pw) would be better cause then it doesnt matters which name youre using.

Specialy, if you use just name, you would be able to steal the stats of other players by just renaming to them.
    No ... No ... this is not possible .......

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Having done a bit of quick research (really quick), I have found out that the problem is the COD2 Activision Master Servers:

What the Master Server does is converts CD Keys to GUID Numbers FOR cod2 servers you play on and ensures your CD Key is valid and is not already in use.

Outages and Problems

When it breaks, some or all of the Master's functions become unavailable. This causes a NUMBER of problems:

Can't Refresh Server List

If you've ever clicked on the "Refresh" button while viewing the list of servers and had it just sit there and hang... Then you are well acquainted with this annoyance. While the "Refresh" button will not work when the Master is down, the "Quick Refresh" will always work because it does not request a fresh list of servers; it merely updates the status of all the servers currently in your list. Note: if you've already hit "Refresh" and get no response, it is too late to use "Quick Refresh")

Can't Ban People

When the GUID Number look-up process breaks, then the CoD2 server will not be able to associate a ban against the CD Key of the offending player. When the Master server is unavailable, this causes players who connect to receive a GUID number of 0. GUID 0 is a very commonly asked question. Players that have GUID 0 can't be banned. The banclient command is ignored and the tempbanclient command will kick them from the server, but won't actually temporarily ban them. The person you are trying to remove will still be able to immediately rejoin as long as the Master server is down.

The Banned Come Back

People that have previously been successfully banned or vote-kicked can immediately re-join the server.

Since the method the server relies on to look up CD Keys is broken, all of those banned users (CD Keys) in your ban list.... Don't do a damn thing while the Master server is down.
    Banned CD Keys will actually work

People that install pirated versions of the game are using a stolen CD key code that has been permanently banned by Activision. When that look-up process is broken, All of the chumps without a valid CD Key get to play online.
    The Hackers Come Out

Since the pirate crowd is only allowed to play on all the CoD2 servers while the Master server is down, Master server outages bring in tons of players that are normally prevented from playing.

A disproportionate number of these new players seem to be hackers. Since they are normally already banned from all the servers to begin with, they have little to risk, hence: there seems to be less of deterrent against hacking among this class of players. Especially when they figure out that they are essentially unbannable while the Master is down.

All of the above is not mine. It was taken from this website:

http://cod2.smaert.com/wookie/index...._Master_Server

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tally For This Useful Post:

Dominator (11th June 2013),kung foo man (13th April 2013),Ni3ls (13th April 2013)

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Earliboy View Post
    I never said that mod sucks or never wanted to insult them, the extreme + mod is awesome, yes.
    But it doesnt makes sense to save just the same.
    Like: I sometimes run as Unknown Soldier through the servers, sometimes as Earliboy.
    So i would always have a different name. Specialy like the community is right now, people changing theyre names like underwear.
    Specialy that checking name script would be more usefull for an account system to check the login name.
    A login system (name / pw) would be better cause then it doesnt matters which name youre using.

Specialy, if you use just name, you would be able to steal the stats of other players by just renaming to them.
    there are drawbacks with everything. If you choose to use a player name as a means to save player data, then you need to compensate for duplicate names. That is done in the eXtreme+ mod - there is a module to avoid duplicate names. The other draw back is, of course, that if a player changes his name, he will loose his stats. To this end, the developers of the eXtreme+ mod put in a disclaimer for the mod telling admins about this and suggest that admins add a notice either in the serverinfo menu, or ingame messages telling players about the problem: don't change your name or you will loose your stats.

If you choose to use a players GUID as a means to save data, you run into the Master Server bugs where all player's GUID's will return as 0. There IS NO WAY AROUND THIS; there is no script alternative to this. When the Master Server is not responding to all servers - and indications are that it breaks a lot for COD2 version 1.0 and 1.2 servers the most - every single player will have their stats saved to the same data file. Unlike using a player name as a means to save data, where you can avoid duplicates and request players not to change their names, if you use a GUID and the Master Server breaks, there is absolutely nothing you can do about. Broken is broken.

Hence why I said there are good reasons not to use GUIDs as a means to save data files.

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    But Tally, i knew already about the Master Server downtime bug. But also when the Master Server is working/available, people are able to get a GUID 0. I read somewhere that if you got 2 pc's connected with the same IP to the same server, only the first one will get the GUID, the other will get GUID 0. I tried it, but it failed. I just started to COD2's from 1 pc. Am i doing something wrong?

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ni3ls View Post
    But Tally, i knew already about the Master Server downtime bug. But also when the Master Server is working/available, people are able to get a GUID 0. I read somewhere that if you got 2 pc's connected with the same IP to the same server, only the first one will get the GUID, the other will get GUID 0. I tried it, but it failed. I just started to COD2's from 1 pc. Am i doing something wrong?
    When I run a test dedicated server from the fs_game root, I get GUID = 0 as well. Always have done, and apparently no way around it, no matter what version and no matter if the Master Server is up or down. I have no idea why or how to fix it. I can only hazard a guess and say that servers which are not listed in the Master Server list, that is, servers which have been up long enough to be registered with the Master Server (some are instantly registered, some take a couple of hours, some take days), will return GUID = 0 because the Master Server is not converting the CD key.
    Last edited by Tally; 13th April 2013 at 13:13.

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    My server is in the Master Server list, so that can't be the error. Maybe somebody can look in a mombot file? Cos I thought mombot returns a GUID 0 and make them unbannable

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    My server is in the Master Server list, so that can't be the error. Maybe somebody can look in a mombot file? Cos I thought mombot returns a GUID 0 and make them unbannable
    All hacks will return GUID = 0. It has something to do with the memory shell the hacks run in, interfering with the Master Server converting the CD key to a GUID. This is from Icculus.org:

Yeah, it's likely two (or more) issues. If the master server is returning
    faulty values you will usually see at least several players on each server
    with a guid of zero.

If you just have one player with a guid of zero it is likely hes using
    some exploit or hack.
    http://icculus.org/pipermail/cod/200...ry/006256.html

BTW - off topic, please stop supporting Modsonline.com. The admins there are anti-mod community and treat modders with disdain and disrespect. I would encourage all fellow modders to boycott the site, until such time as Stryder and Welshy apologise to the modders for their complete disdain for all modders who help keep the place alive. I sincerely believe hell will freeze over before that happens, but the boycott must remain. Mod forums are the only forums I know where the users are more important than the administrators. It is the more talented modders who become gurus and help all the novice modders out with their questions; not the admins. Traffic to such sites comes because the gurus answer the questions. The admins do little to attract new traffic because they are not the reason people come to the site, because they don't answer the modding questions. When the admins disrespect those gurus, and treat them like they are so much shit on their boots - which is what Stryder and Welshy repeatedly do - such sites should be boycotted. As such I encourage all fellow modders to stick together and have nothing to do with such sites. Modsonline.com is one of them. There are currently 15 well known modders who are boycotting the site, including myself and IznoGod.
    Last edited by Tally; 13th April 2013 at 13:18.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tally For This Useful Post:

kung foo man (13th April 2013)

Thanks
    If 2 ppl on same ip, same keycode connect to a server, they normaly get same GUID.
    I often see ppl with same ip + guid on my servers.
    I just made an small script to tell them about duplicated guid so they know they will get probs on stats saving.

About the GUID 0, just kick them, yes they can rejoin but why should u care? just write an script to auto kick players with guid or auto crash theyre game (yes, thats possible).
    No ... No ... this is not possible .......

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Earliboy For This Useful Post:

kung foo man (13th April 2013)

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally View Post
    BTW - off topic, please stop supporting Modsonline.com. The admins there are anti-mod community and treat modders with disdain and disrespect. I would encourage all fellow modders to boycott the site, until such time as Stryder and Welshy apologise to the modders for their complete disdain for all modders who help keep the place alive. I sincerely believe hell will freeze over before that happens, but the boycott must remain. Mod forums are the only forums I know where the users are more important than the administrators. It is the more talented modders who become gurus and help all the novice modders out with their questions; not the admins. Traffic to such sites comes because the gurus answer the questions. The admins do little to attract new traffic because they are not the reason people come to the site, because they don't answer the modding questions. When the admins disrespect those gurus, and treat them like they are so much shit on their boots - which is what Stryder and Welshy repeatedly do - such sites should be boycotted. As such I encourage all fellow modders to stick together and have nothing to do with such sites. Modsonline.com is one of them. There are currently 15 well known modders who are boycotting the site, including myself and IznoGod.
    I know you boycott them. I will still be active there. Those people need also help.

ONTOPIC: If you have cracked binaries, you wont be able to connect to any non cracked server right? How are they managed to join with cracked binaries

Brigadier General
    Thanks
    I know you boycott them. I will still be active there. Those people need also help.
    They may need help, but why do it at a site where the admins have no respect for you if you do? And anyway there are other mod sites where they could go to get help. Here for example.

I asked you to stand shoulder to shoulder with your fellow brother modders. Of course it is your choice, but if you choose not to stand united, then please remember no one will support you if you don't return the favour. This is what the world is coming to - selfishness and self interest rules. The "I'm Alright Jack, Fuck You!" mentality of today's society.