PDA

View Full Version : dedicated server advise

fing
20th April 2020, 18:07
hi , do you guys have any advice for dedicated server with uninterrupted ddos protection ?

IzNoGoD
20th April 2020, 19:28
For always-on protection of very decent size, you'll be stuck with OVH, specifically their GAME line. SoYouStart is an OVH brand which is a tad cheaper.

For ddos protection that kicks in after a bit you can use Hetzner (they have a very good price:performance ratio).

If you're hosting multiple servers for multiple people, stick with a bunch of cheap vpsses. If one of them gets a ddos, your other clients won't feel it.

Then again, the most important question here remains where your client base/player base is located. Ping under normal circumstances is very important.

CaptainSlow
21st April 2020, 12:14
ScaleWay might also be an option (sister company of Online.net) I know they also offer DDOS protection for free but I'm not sure how/when it kicks in.
Their cheapeast VPS has the same price tag as OVH and Hetzner, but the difference is that you get two vCores instead of just one.

IzNoGoD
21st April 2020, 15:53
ScaleWay might also be an option (sister company of Online.net) I know they also offer DDOS protection for free but I'm not sure how/when it kicks in.
Their cheapeast VPS has the same price tag as OVH and Hetzner, but the difference is that you get two vCores instead of just one.

Scaleway has barely got any anti-ddos, definitely not the choice if your first question is "does it have anti-ddos". It might not go fully down when ddossed, but it most likely will be very visible that a ddos is happening.

CaptainSlow
21st April 2020, 18:29
Scaleway has barely got any anti-ddos, definitely not the choice if your first question is "does it have anti-ddos". It might not go fully down when ddossed, but it most likely will be very visible that a ddos is happening.

Didn't know, thanks for clarifying. Perhaps that's why they are so vague about it on their website.

CaptainSlow
26th April 2020, 00:38
I just remembered, Contabo also offers free DDOS protection on their servers: https://contabo.com/?show=vps

IzNoGoD
26th April 2020, 06:35
I just remembered, Contabo also offers free DDOS protection on their servers: https://contabo.com/?show=vps

Same quality as scaleway/online.net. Three good options in EU are hetzner, ovh (or one of their subbrands) and a third brand I cannot remember right now, but which was way more expensive than the first two for dedicated servers.