PDA

View Full Version : Request - Fast download 1.0

Ni3ls
2nd July 2016, 13:42
Hi all,

Is it possible for any of you to make webdownload/ fast download supported by 1.0?

voron00
2nd July 2016, 14:03
Without client modifications - no.

Ni3ls
2nd July 2016, 14:29
I dont mind client modifications. It would be something like cod4.x ? It will download a client exe automatically when you join a certain server and keeps checking for updates

voron00
2nd July 2016, 14:38
Download exe when joining a server is not possible. You will have to ship it to your clients manually somehow.

Ni3ls
2nd July 2016, 15:26
Well that would also be no problem. People without the modified exe will have to slow/normal download and if you download the "upgraded" exe you get the fast download

IzNoGoD
2nd July 2016, 15:31
I found a client modification that allows you to fast download: http://www.gamershell.com/download_14209.shtml

Now go back and try to think why modifying cod2 1.0 clients to do fastdl is a bad idea

Ni3ls
2nd July 2016, 15:43
Now go back and try to think why modifying cod2 1.0 clients to do fastdl is a bad idea

I really have no idea

voron00
3rd July 2016, 08:00
Its pointless as people will have to visit external website etc to get that modded stuff, isnt it easier to just ship the mod this way? I have a small idea for you though: small change to a download function that will trigger a error message if player doesnt have the files and you can change the error message to what you want.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Com_sprintf(errorMessage, sizeof(errorMessage), Cvar_VariableString("sv_downloadMessage"));
MSG_WriteByte(msg, 5);
MSG_WriteShort(msg, 0);
MSG_WriteLong(msg, -1);
MSG_WriteString(msg, errorMessage);
*(int *)(cl + 134248) = 0;
return 0;
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Add this after line 1721 in libcod.cpp: https://github.com/voron00/libcod/blob/master/libcod.cpp#L1721
And change the cvar sv_downloadMessage to whatev you want.

Ofc this will not trigger if player have the files.

Ni3ls
3rd July 2016, 19:55
In that case they can only the files elsewhere?
But like I said, is it not possible that people who have modified exe have fast download and the normal exe downloads at low speed? So you are lucky if you have the modified exe

IzNoGoD
3rd July 2016, 21:02
It is very possible, i know php implemented something for cod1. Then again, who would want to develop something like that... There's patch 1.3 for everybody.

Ni3ls
3rd July 2016, 21:11
Yes he has in the UP mod that it opens a website to register. I know everybody on 1.0 and dont want to change to 1.3 Thats why im asking it

php
4th July 2016, 12:05
The benefits don't outweigh the risks.

Ni3ls
4th July 2016, 13:08
Okay skip the website redirecting. Would it still be possible to modified the client exe to have faster download at 1.0?

kung foo man
5th July 2016, 01:36
Nobody stops you to learn Reverse Engineering and hack some code into the .exe and then distribute the .exe to all people you know

Ni3ls
5th July 2016, 18:42
I have no knowledge about this (as you can see I already had problems with compiling libcod) Thats why I asked it as a request. If it takes too much time or anything, I understand that no one will try to do it.

suck000
6th July 2016, 00:22
Niels you absolutely need this for your zombots server. 120 mo :(

Ni3ls
6th July 2016, 10:27
Its pointless as people will have to visit external website etc to get that modded stuff, isnt it easier to just ship the mod this way? I have a small idea for you though: small change to a download function that will trigger a error message if player doesnt have the files and you can change the error message to what you want.

Com_sprintf(errorMessage, sizeof(errorMessage), Cvar_VariableString("sv_downloadMessage"));
MSG_WriteByte(msg, 5);
MSG_WriteShort(msg, 0);
MSG_WriteLong(msg, -1);
MSG_WriteString(msg, errorMessage);
*(int *)(cl + 134248) = 0;
return 0;

Add this after line 1721 in libcod.cpp: https://github.com/voron00/libcod/blob/master/libcod.cpp#L1721
And change the cvar sv_downloadMessage to whatev you want.

Ofc this will not trigger if player have the files.

This works perfect!