PDA

View Full Version : CoD2 VPS

pollo
10th May 2016, 21:45
Hey guys

I'm planning to rent a VPS (located in Spain) for a CoD2 server, and I want to ask you: which specs do you guys consider are OK to host a server (20-30 players)?

Sorry if this is a noobish question, but I need to be sure before paying :)

I've also seen cod2 rental servers offers in spain, but some VPS offers are quite cheaper, so they are not an option.

Ty

voron00
10th May 2016, 22:02
Well, i've got 2GHz cpu (single core), 1G RAM, 25 GB HDD, running Arch Linux and it holds 3 servers (and 3 Nanny's) just fine. I never saw CPU load went above 30%. (2/3 servers are now 99% empty though), the only thing i sometimes pissed off with is slow HDD random access which sometimes makes the server hang for a millisecond when it tries to write a log or smth, proably should have get an SSD one but money is better :p. For one server proably everyting is enough but idk really lol.

IzNoGoD
11th May 2016, 07:05
When you disable logging, all that remains is:
- HDD size (I tweaked my install to fit inside a 2gb hdd, see some other thread i made)
- RAM (256mb minimum, non-oversold)(so go with a kvm or xen vps)
- CPU

As you want to host for 20-30 players, cpu becomes an issue. Most vps providers dont take too kindly to people maxxing out a full core, and youll be looking at 50-100% of a full core. If you can find a cheap i3-based dedicated server, that would probably be better. (or try to find a vps host that allows you to use a full core, but that mostly means that others are also allowed to use a full core, making the node perform like shit)

maxdamage99
11th May 2016, 11:42
Voron remeber ddos attacks for hosting :D

IzNoGoD
11th May 2016, 11:59
cod2 is not under ddos all that much, only the amplification attacks can happen. Apply mitch's latest libcod to defend yourself against that.

Especially if your server is in a weird location (spain), barely anyone will bother to ddos you.

pollo
11th May 2016, 18:17
thank you guys!