PDA

View Full Version : Worms PowerServer Mod Beta 0.98b compatible with COD2 1.0?

CaptainSlow
14th September 2015, 15:56
Hi,

I'm trying to implement Worms PowerServer Mod Beta 0.98b (downloaded from here: http://modsonline.com/Downloads-full-5479.html) on our server.
The readme says the following:

// Basic Instructions:
// 1) Add the .iwd file to your server's MAIN directory
// 2) Modify this config to your liking.
// 3) Save and upload this config file to your server's MAIN directory
// 4) In your server's start-up config file, add:
// exec powerserver.cfg
// Note: This 'exec' command must be done BEFORE the first map is called
//
// IMPORTANT NOTE!!!
// Anything below that says "**CLIENT-SIDE**" requires the mod to be
// downloadable by the client.
//
// If you are using NOTHING below that requires the mod to be
// clientside, then you can rename the mod's IWD file to:
// ps_svr_098.iwd
// to make the mod server-side only.

Per instructions, I've edited the .cfg file to my liking. I made sure not to enable any CLIENT Side settings which would require the mod to be downloaded by clients and changed the filename to ps_svr_098.iwd
I copied both the .cfg and ps_svr_098.iwd into my main folder.

Now when I try to start our server, I get the following error:

I tried starting the server locally with the /developer 1 switch turned on, which yields me this error:
After some Googling, I tried what is explained in this topic: http://www.codutility.com/showthread.php?t=68 but if I do so, the mod does not work anymore (i.e. unzip, add the files, rezip, change extension); The server starts, but the mod is ignored.

Could it be that this mod is not supported on COD2 1.0 (due to the 'Unknown function)?

I'm totally new to modding so sorry for any noobisch questions, I try my best.

IzNoGoD
14th September 2015, 16:09
You might wanna check _menus.gsc cause there's an endparty() in there for 1.3, a function not available in 1.0. Easiest way is to just add a dummy function to the same file:

endparty()
{
}

Tally
14th September 2015, 16:26
That version of powersever is for COd2 1.3. There are tons of places where you will run into script runtime errors because the files in 1.3 are different than in 1.0.

CaptainSlow
14th September 2015, 16:41
Both of you thanks for your replies, I really do appreciate it

You might wanna check _menus.gsc cause there's an endparty() in there for 1.3, a function not available in 1.0. Easiest way is to just add a dummy function to the same file:

endparty()
{
}

As far as I can see, there is no _menus.gsc inside the .IWD file

That version of powersever is for COd2 1.3. There are tons of places where you will run into script runtime errors because the files in 1.3 are different than in 1.0.

Do you perhaps have a compatible version for COD2 1.0? Many thanks!

Tally
14th September 2015, 16:45
Both of you thanks for your replies, I really do appreciate it

As far as I can see, there is no _menus.gsc inside the .IWD file

Do you perhaps have a compatible version for COD2 1.0? Many thanks!

No. The mod is 10 years old. Only certain versions have survived. You would have to find someone who is willing to go through the mod and make the necessary changes in order for it to run on 1.0. And even then, it might not because it might be too big on gamestate (1.0 has 16k of gamestate; 1.3 has 120k of gamestate).

CaptainSlow
14th September 2015, 16:54
No. The mod is 10 years old. Only certain versions have survived. You would have to find someone who is willing to go through the mod and make the necessary changes in order for it to run on 1.0. And even then, it might not because it might be too big on gamestate (1.0 has 16k of gamestate; 1.3 has 120k of gamestate).

Thanks for your reply.

Hmm bummer, there are so many nice things in there that I would like to use (for example spawn protection etc). Too bad I guess :(

Tally
14th September 2015, 16:59
Thanks for your reply.

Hmm bummer, there are so many nice things in there that I would like to use (for example spawn protection etc). Too bad I guess :(

I can't even look at it properly at the moment, because I am compiling video codecs, and it takes an eternity. Maybe tomorrow I can have a look at it for you and see how easy it is to downgrade it from 1.3 to 1.0. A cursory look revealed 4 script differences so far - which isn't much. And it doesn't look too heavy on xmodels or image files, so it might not be very big in gamestate.

Tally
14th September 2015, 18:24
Okay, I was able to do this on my laptop. I've made it 1.0 compatible.

Download it from here:

DOWNLOAD (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d.staveley/downloads/powerserver_1.0.zip)

Changelog:

1. Added gametype serverinfo menus from 1.3.

2. Added _teams.gsc from 1.3 because there are lots of calls to new functions in the gametype files.

3. Added _menus.gsc from 1.3 to handle the serverinfo menus.

CaptainSlow
14th September 2015, 19:15
Okay, I was able to do this on my laptop. I've made it 1.0 compatible.

Download it from here:

DOWNLOAD (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d.staveley/downloads/powerserver_1.0.zip)

Changelog:

1. Added gametype serverinfo menus from 1.3.

2. Added _teams.gsc from 1.3 because there are lots of calls to new functions in the gametype files.

3. Added _menus.gsc from 1.3 to handle the serverinfo menus.

Awesome, thank you so so much!!!
I'll now try and see whether I can implement the anti-namechangers code into this as well (http://killtube.org/showthread.php?2296-Anti-Cheat-Solution-for-COD2-1-0&p=12558&viewfull=1#post12558)

One more question tho: I've only enabled settings in the .cfg that should not require a client-side download. However, when I join the server, it forces me to download the file. Is this normal behavior?

Many thanks!

Tally
14th September 2015, 19:41
Awesome, thank you so so much!!!
I'll now try and see whether I can implement the anti-namechangers code into this as well (http://killtube.org/showthread.php?2296-Anti-Cheat-Solution-for-COD2-1-0&p=12558&viewfull=1#post12558)

One more question tho: I've only enabled settings in the .cfg that should not require a client-side download. However, when I join the server, it forces me to download the file. Is this normal behavior?

Many thanks!

COD2 will always download what the client needs. Because there are image and menu files you require, it does indeed require a download. This is unavoidable because Powerserver is not a server-side-only mod.

It is possible to split the mod into those parts which can remain purely server-side, and those that require a client download. I'll split it for you, and while I am at it, add the anti-name changer mod as well.

CaptainSlow
14th September 2015, 19:46
COD2 will always download what the client needs. Because there are image and menu files you require, it does indeed require a download. This is unavoidable because Powerserver is not a server-side-only mod.

It is possible to split the mod into those parts which can remain purely server-side, and those that require a client download.

Many thanks for your reply.

Ah okay, then I've misinterpreted the ReadMe, which I thought stated that the mod can also be run sever-side. Sorry, my bad!

I won't be using any of the images stuff (mines, smokes/nades etc). Do you think it would be possible to split it up? I believe the menu file can also be left out if I understood the cfg correctly:

// Force Auto-Assign
// Requires **CLIENT-SIDE** for the menu options to disappear,
// but it will work without it clientside anyway.
set scr_force_autoassign 1

EDIT: I see you've edited your post. Awesome! thanks so much, looking forward to it!

Tally
15th September 2015, 08:36
Okay, here it is:

Download it from here:

DOWNLOAD (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d.staveley/downloads/powerserver_2parts.zip)

1. added the cheat name checker posted elsewhere. Not tested other than to know it detects a name change.

2. Made the mod into server-side and client-side:

A) Extract the contents of the Zip folder to your server;
B) keep the RAW folders as they are - the way COD2 works is, it wont download RAW folders or their contents. So, this is the only way to keep them server-side only on a 1.0 server;
C) The client-part is the .IWD file - it will download to the client only if they have downloads switched on.

CaptainSlow
15th September 2015, 20:54
Okay, here it is:

Download it from here:

DOWNLOAD (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d.staveley/downloads/powerserver_2parts.zip)

1. added the cheat name checker posted elsewhere. Not tested other than to know it detects a name change.

2. Made the mod into server-side and client-side:

A) Extract the contents of the Zip folder to your server;
B) keep the RAW folders as they are - the way COD2 works is, it wont download RAW folders or their contents. So, this is the only way to keep them server-side only on a 1.0 server;
C) The client-part is the .IWD file - it will download to the client only if they have downloads switched on.

Thank you very very much for the server- and client-side version of the mod!

This probably will sound very noobisch, but I've tried it out and it still seems to want to download the .iwd file to the client. I've tried disabling 'sv_allowdownload' in the .cfg, but the you cannot join the server without the .IWD file.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the concept of a 'server-side mod'. How I understood it was that the client does not have to download any files when using a server-side mod.
But I am now starting to think the definition should more be like: Some files are on the server, other ones need to be downloaded to the client. Is this correct?

Many thanks!!

Tally
15th September 2015, 21:08
I suggest you re-read what I have said about the mod, because I am not going to reiterate what I've already said.

CaptainSlow
15th September 2015, 21:25
I suggest you re-read what I have said about the mod, because I am not going to reiterate what I've already said.

Thanks, yes I know it sounds noobisch but I just want to make sure I understand I fully understand the concept.

Earlier you said:

It is possible to split the mod into those parts which can remain purely server-side, and those that require a client download.
So if I understand correctly, my second understanding would be correct, i.e. Some files are on the server, other ones always need to be downloaded to the client

Ni3ls
15th September 2015, 21:29
Yes. Scripts are not downloaded by clients. Menus, images , weapons etc need to be downloaded and must be put in an .iwd file

CaptainSlow
15th September 2015, 21:56
Yes. Scripts are not downloaded by clients. Menus, images , weapons etc need to be downloaded and must be put in an .iwd file

Thanks, okay that makes sense. But what I don't get, and sorry for nagging, is that the readme says:

// If you are using NOTHING below that requires the mod to be
// clientside, then you can rename the mod's IWD file to:
// ps_svr_098.iwd
// to make the mod server-side only.

This is confusing to me, sorry...

Tally
15th September 2015, 22:32
Thanks, okay that makes sense. But what I don't get, and sorry for nagging, is that the readme says:

This is confusing to me, sorry...

Because this is a mod for COD2 1.3 and in that version there is a dvar which will make an IWD file with "_sv_" in its name server-side only. But this is not a feature of 1.0.

Hence, the readme file from Powerserver for COD2 1.3 has a reference to the server-side dvar.

COD2 1.0 is the only version of COD which does not have this feature. COD1, UO, COD2 1.2/1.3, COD4, and World at War all have it. But not COD2 1.0.

CaptainSlow
15th September 2015, 22:36
Because this is a mod for COD2 1.3 and in that version there is a dvar which will make an IWD file with "_sv_" in its name server-side only. But this is not a feature of 1.0.

Hence, the readme file from Powerserver for COD2 1.3 has a reference to the server-side dvar.

COD2 1.0 is the only version of COD which does not have this feature. COD1, UO, COD2 1.2/1.3, COD4, and World at War all have it. But not COD2 1.0.

Thank you very very much, now I finally understand the concept!