PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 and Call of Duty 2

Loveboy
2nd August 2015, 00:18
Hello Guys,
it seems that Call of Duty 2 is not working on the current version of Windows 10. It crashes after start.
I tried to fix this crash, but I probably have to wait for new updates on Windows 10.
So that's just a warning for the guys who play much Call of Duty 2 and want to change to Windows 10.

... if you installed Windows 10 and tried to play Call of Duty 2, please write your results.

Thank you.

Tally
2nd August 2015, 00:33
Hello Guys,
it seems that Call of Duty 2 is not working on the current version of Windows 10. It crashes after start.
I tried to fix this crash, but I probably have to wait for new updates on Windows 10.
So that's just a warning for the guys who play much Call of Duty 2 and want to change to Windows 10.

... if you installed Windows 10 and tried to play Call of Duty 2, please write your results.

Thank you.

if you installed Windows 10 and tried to play Call of Duty 2, please write your results.

Already have posted results here:

http://killtube.org/showthread.php?2248-Force-Starting-Windows-10-Upgrade

Works fine if you take off compatibility mode for WinXP SP2.

all other COD games run fine under Win10 - COD1, COD:UO, COD2, COD4, COD:WaW, BO1, MW2, MW3, BO2, and Ghosts.

Loveboy
2nd August 2015, 00:53
Thank you, but didn't worked for me. It shows my desktop instead of a black screen with 640x480 screen.
I opened Task Manager, it shows that CoD2 is inactive and my Task Manager crashes. I need to restart my computer.

Loveboy
2nd August 2015, 19:50
This is what I see as CoD2 crashes

the_law
3rd August 2015, 00:40
Mine doesn't crash, but it kind of bugs me how I have to wait 2-3 minutes for the black screen to go away. Used to work fine on Windows 8.1 with compatibility mode.

Loveboy
3rd August 2015, 00:53
Hm okay, have I got maybe a graphic problem (DirectX)?

randall
3rd August 2015, 09:00
CoD2 runs better (=r_gamma is working :D) on Win10 Pro x64 than the same edition of W8.1.

Loveboy
3rd August 2015, 17:42
I have got more informations. I tried to change the path of CoD2 installation files.

After installing CoD2, I get a message (Installing DirectX 9).

I accepted and after 0.1 secound I will get a message, that it's installed. So I clicked on Finnish.

After that I get this error:

randall
3rd August 2015, 18:02
Just ignore this message, set the compatible to XP SP2 or SP3 and the game will work.

Loveboy
3rd August 2015, 19:29
Already ignored this message and tried all compatabilities. Still doesn't work.

Tally
3rd August 2015, 19:37
Just ignore this message, set the compatible to XP SP2 or SP3 and the game will work.

When I use compatibility mode in Win10, I lose mouse control.

randall
3rd August 2015, 20:01
When I use compatibility mode in Win10, I lose mouse control.

If you only see the original windows cursor and cant control the ingame one, just alt+tab to the desktop and back to the game.

Loveboy
3rd August 2015, 20:09
Doesn't work for me. I think the problem is somewhere in the installation path.
I will check for it.

Edit: I'm getting this error:

Couldn't load default_localize_mp.cfg. Make sure Call of Duty is running from the correct folder

Tally
3rd August 2015, 23:47
Doesn't work for me. I think the problem is somewhere in the installation path.
I will check for it.

Edit: I'm getting this error:

Couldn't load default_localize_mp.cfg. Make sure Call of Duty is running from the correct folder

That error is a common one when the game cannot find the /main folder. See here for full details:

https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Error-during-initilaization-couldnt-load-defaultcfg-Make-sure-Call-of-Duty-is-run-from-the-correct-folder

In your case, I would guess that you have the old location of your COD2 install still showing in your Windows Registry entries. This means the game is still looking in the old location and can't find the /main folder any more. You need to either edit the registry entries (use RegEdit) to reflect the new directory location, or delete them completely and create brand new ones for the new install.

Loveboy
4th August 2015, 01:02
Hm I am not sure. I removed CoD2, removed all entries what in Windows Registry 'Call of Duty 2'.
But if I install it again and locate it to C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 2 (instead of C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 2), then it will still install in this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 2.
I think my graphic driver is the problem or something. NVIDIA GeForce made a update (for Windows 10 users). Or maybe it's the DirectX problem. I installed old version of Graphic Driver, but still won't work.
My Graphic Card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti.

I think that I am gonna reinstall Windows 10 Pro. My secondary HDD includes back-up files. So my files are in 30 minutes installed.

Edit: Reinstalled Windows 10. First I installed Call of Duty 2 (WinXP SP2). and started. Still same problem. Installed graphic Driver and DirectX. Still same Problem.

YuriJurek
4th August 2015, 09:56
I felt like you already had the same problem before... http://killtube.org/showthread.php?2156-Call-of-Duty-2-crash-after-running

Just give me a way to contact you and I'll fix it for you via Teamviewer.

Tally
4th August 2015, 10:52
If you only see the original windows cursor and cant control the ingame one, just alt+tab to the desktop and back to the game.

Yep, that does the trick. No more black screen before the game launches. Thanks!

Tally
4th August 2015, 10:55
Mine doesn't crash, but it kind of bugs me how I have to wait 2-3 minutes for the black screen to go away. Used to work fine on Windows 8.1 with compatibility mode.

Just follow randall's advice: put COD2 into compatibility mode for WinXP SP2 - it launches without any black screen. But you have to minimise the game to desktop, then go back into game, to get your mouse working again. This seems to be a DirectX process layering problem under Win10, but minimising the game corrects it.

Loveboy
4th August 2015, 14:20
Thank you very much Yuri

Loveboy
4th August 2015, 18:46
Yuri helped me. I hadn't the folder 'players' in main. As I added this folder with player files, the blackscreen after running CoD2 disappeared and I could play CoD2.
I had no compatibility changes. If I change it to WinXP SP2, then it will not show the blackscreen, it will show only my desktop.

But it takes a little bit time after CoD2 is loaded. Is that a Windows 10 bug?

Tally
4th August 2015, 19:21
Yuri helped me. I hadn't the folder 'players' in main. As I added this folder with player files, the blackscreen after running CoD2 disappeared and I could play CoD2.
I had no compatibility changes. If I change it to WinXP SP2, then it will not show the blackscreen, it will show only my desktop.

It's not a "bug". It is just the way legacy DirectX works - it emulates older versions of the DirectX runtime, and that takes some time. Using compatibility mode cuts out the emulation time, which is why it is better to run it that way.

Loveboy
4th August 2015, 20:15
Okay. But my Call of Duty 2 can only run by Windows 10, no other compatibilities. Else, my PC crashes.

the_law
4th August 2015, 21:49
Compatability (WinXP SP2) works fine for me, but I sometimes get flickering horizontal distortions and line on my screen in CoD2.

juansterloked
25th October 2015, 02:31
haha easy fix

Just go into Control Panel then Playback Then Right Click Over Speakers Disable Then Run your cod2

O yeah make sure you have the correct sound driver installed not just the default windows 10 driver if you like sound lol

360cpcsdriver
18th November 2015, 15:43
Hi guys, im new on here so a BIG hi! :-) i have the same issue the dreaded Black Screen on W10 & wondered how it was sorted please? i have read most of these posts and wasnt sure which one was the solution? i know this is an old post so apologies...

tboske
1st February 2016, 19:11
hey yuri, could you pls help me too, i dont know what im doing wrong. i almost tried everything, or atleast send another post that explains me everything step by step.

Tyloor
26th June 2016, 03:55
Hey guys, the "fix" that juansterloked posted worked for me, but I can't get sound obviously. Re-enabling the speakers (headset) just crashes the game. Any idea how else I can get it to work?

IzNoGoD
26th June 2016, 07:57
Plug something into your microphone port.