PDA

View Full Version : Activision Master Server and Starting a New Dedicated Server

Tally
4th January 2015, 13:28
Activision have acknowledged that there is currently a problem with the Master Server returning valid IDs for newly started dedicated servers. At the moment, it is taking upwards of 15 minutes for the ID to be populated in the server browser, and for players to be able to connect to it. Recently, the whole Master Server was offline, and it was not possible to populate a browser at all. Today, however, the Master Server is back up, but the length of time it takes to return valid IDs for new servers is still taking a long time. They have said they are working on it.

I'll updtate this as and when I get more info.

Tally
7th January 2015, 10:32
It seems Activision is talking seriously about ending the Master Server by the end of the year. If my sources are correct, an announcement will be made within six months or so to that effect.

This obviously means an end to all Call of Duty games that don't use Steam as the base platform. If this turns out to be true, I think the community needs to start seriously thinking of our own method of fetching server IPs and returning them to clients.

Really, really bad news I know. I hope they rethink this terrible decision.

guiismiti
7th January 2015, 14:45
an end to all Call of Duty games

Even the latest versions? with a huge number of players?

Tally
7th January 2015, 14:56
Even the latest versions? with a huge number of players?

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean by "latest versions". Do you mean latest patches? Because if you do, that wont make a blind bit of difference.

IzNoGoD
7th January 2015, 14:57
This would be quite not-nice from activision, as cod2 is currently still for sale on steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/2630/

Tally
7th January 2015, 16:41
This would be quite not-nice from activision, as cod2 is currently still for sale on steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/2630/

GameSpy shut down last year, and ended a shit-load of games such as BorderLands, but you can still buy them. It seems as long as 50% of the game still runs it is legal to still sell them.

guiismiti
7th January 2015, 17:48
I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean by "latest versions".

I meant like COD4