PDA

View Full Version : Lost A Year's Work!

Tally
28th October 2014, 12:12
This thread is a warning to always backup your files.

I had a PC crash yesterday while I was editing my demon mod. The IWD file was open and the system crashed for a hardware failure (it's okay, I am currently overclocking my CPU and hunting for a stable voltage). When I restarted and tried to open the IWD file, WinRar gave the error that the rar file was corrupt. I used several methods to retrieve the damage files (the built-in retrieval system and 3 third-party programs), but I lost about a years work. I could have sworn I had backups, but I was shocked to find I had not backed up my current mod files since August last year. I lost literally hundreds of hours work, the most important being the conversion of the menu language system from the Quake 3 one to the one used in COD4 (using defs and templates), and my rather impressive account system.

One thing I learnt about the way WinRar works (other than to backup your files regularly) is that if you lose any files, it will always be the versions that have changed since your last back up. WinRar keeps a record of your backups without you knowing about it (see the WinRar temp folder), comparing all rar files named the same. So, effectively, the retrieval system will simply pull (WinRar temp) files from your last backup and use them as a comparison sheet. So, the version the retrieval systems gave was basically my backed up files. Meaning these programs are pretty pointless if you have at least some files backed up.

Oh well! I have some serious work to be doing in the next couple of months.

Loveboy
28th October 2014, 12:26
lol ____________

serthy
28th October 2014, 16:26
OUCH!

I also had a harddrive crash the last weekend and i lost (luckily only) 3 days of work on my thesis
I usually backup all my files with git + github/NAS

php
28th October 2014, 23:53
That sucks man, I know how you feel. :(

kung foo man
29th October 2014, 00:10
Oh man, that's a pain in the ass. Since I (also) know how it feels, I started to make backups long ago with rsync on Windows (some japanese edition, so it supports Multichar bytes or however they are called), of my 2 main drives. Already saved my ass once.

May we guess the manufacturer? I bet it's Seagate. :D

This is also why "sharing is caring" (open source), it prevents code loss, especially for oneself.

YuriJurek
29th October 2014, 01:07
I just accidentally deleted my RSA Private key alongside with other important files from my USB drive that I just just backed up on the desktop cuz I needed a clean Flash drive and cannot find it with recuva;x

Tally
29th October 2014, 10:26
Oh man, that's a pain in the ass. Since I (also) know how it feels, I started to make backups long ago with rsync on Windows (some japanese edition, so it supports Multichar bytes or however they are called), of my 2 main drives. Already saved my ass once.

May we guess the manufacturer? I bet it's Seagate. :D

This is also why "sharing is caring" (open source), it prevents code loss, especially for oneself.

No, it wasn't a harddrive failure (I have a Kingston 250 Gig SSD and a 1 TB Western Digital Black HD), it was a crash because an overclock voltage wasn't stable. I'm currently overclocking my i7 4770k to 4.6 Ghz (after delidding it to get the temps down), but finding the stable voltage is always a pain. Nearly there. Currently it's at 1.9 volts. But it needs a bit of tweaking.

IzNoGoD
29th October 2014, 11:14
I'm hoping thats 1.09 volts, as (as far as i know) since the i-generation, the memory voltage is linked to the cpu voltage, and ddr3 tends to die above 1.6 volts

Again, I've not been OC-ing for quite a while, so things might have changed since.

Still, anything above 1.5v would be ill-advised on modern cpus unless you use extreme cooling methods (LN2 anyone? :D)

Tally
29th October 2014, 11:38
I'm hoping thats 1.09 volts, as (as far as i know) since the i-generation, the memory voltage is linked to the cpu voltage, and ddr3 tends to die above 1.6 volts

Again, I've not been OC-ing for quite a while, so things might have changed since.

Still, anything above 1.5v would be ill-advised on modern cpus unless you use extreme cooling methods (LN2 anyone? :D)

Sorry, I made a typo - the CPU core voltage I am currently testing is 1.190 volts, not 1.090.

As for cooling I am using extreme cooling - a Cooler Master TPC 800, which is a giant heatsink. You cannot overclock a CPU unless you do. You would not pass any benchmark test such as Prime95 if you didn't. As I said, I also delidded my CPU because I couldn't keep the temps down enough to go to 4.6GHz. I really do not understand how Intel can keep producing CPUs with such poor thermal compounds. I mean, it's not as if they don't know about the problem. Both the Sandybridge and the Ivybridge series were dogs to try to get decent temps on without delidding.

YuriJurek
29th October 2014, 11:58
I haven't heard about cooling a CPU with LN2 because I usually have no need to overclock a CPU to an extreme extent but a GPU is a different story... http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2838380 This one was certainly cooled with Liquid Nitrogen as I've read it on some article a few days ago.

IzNoGoD
29th October 2014, 12:01
Sorry, I made a typo - the CPU core voltage I am currently testing is 1.190 volts, not 1.090.

As for cooling I am using extreme cooling - a Cooler Master TPC 800, which is a giant heatsink. You cannot overclock a CPU unless you do. You would not pass any benchmark test such as Prime95 if you didn't. As I said, I also delidded my CPU because I couldn't keep the temps down enough to go to 4.6GHz. I really do not understand how Intel can keep producing CPUs with such poor thermal compounds. I mean, it's not as if they don't know about the problem. Both the Sandybridge and the Ivybridge series were dogs to try to get decent temps on without delidding.

I was referring to your 1.90v listed in your first post, 1.09 made more sense. Of course, 1.19 is possible too :)

Tally
29th October 2014, 12:03
I was referring to your 1.90v listed in your first post, 1.09 made more sense. Of course, 1.19 is possible too :)

In the world of overclocking, any voltage below 2.3 is considered good. I was at 2.4 and higher before I delidded the CPU. There is a direct relation to heat and stable voltage - the cooler you run, the lower your stable voltage can be.

Tally
29th October 2014, 12:08
I haven't heard about cooling a CPU with LN2 because I usually have no need to overclock a CPU to an extreme extent but a GPU is a different story... http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2838380 This one was certainly cooled with Liquid Nitrogen as I've read it on some article a few days ago.

LOL well, there is no way I would even consider experimenting with liquid nitrogen. Personally, I think even liquid cooling isn't necessary with today's heatsinks. Noctua produce some stunning heatsinks and cool things down to an alarming degree. But they are very costly. So, I plumped for a CoolerMaster one because I also have a CoolerMaster case and I knew it would fit (I've lost track of those who post in overclocking forums and say they bought a big heatsink and it doesn't fit their case, or it gets in the way of the RAM slots).

IzNoGoD
29th October 2014, 14:09
In the world of overclocking, any voltage below 2.3 is considered good. I was at 2.4 and higher before I delidded the CPU. There is a direct relation to heat and stable voltage - the cooler you run, the lower your stable voltage can be.

I'm pretty sure you're referring to 1.3 and 1.4v here, as 2.4v is just excessive. Heat production generally rises with voltage squared, so an increase of a factor 2 in voltage would result in an increase of a factor 4 in heat (aka your 100ish w tdp cpu would produce 400w - very little air coolers can keep that below 100C)

Tally
29th October 2014, 14:17
I'm pretty sure you're referring to 1.3 and 1.4v here, as 2.4v is just excessive. Heat production generally rises with voltage squared, so an increase of a factor 2 in voltage would result in an increase of a factor 4 in heat (aka your 100ish w tdp cpu would produce 400w - very little air coolers can keep that below 100C)

Shit! I am having a bad day for when it comes to posting words which are different than in my brain. Yes - I meant 1.3. Not 2.3. That would just about fry a CPU!

guiismiti
29th March 2015, 19:19
Well...

I had my mod ready to set up in a server.
I merged and modified airstrike (made videos about it, you could use it with a map, and not the binoculars); AC130 gunship, the one I also made videos of; meatbot; planes and AA guns; shmod without bugs; my little ban code; can't remember the rest.
My laptop died (I think it has something to do with the mother board), I removed the HD, copied some stuff I didn't have backed up, and only copied the mod .iwd. I forgot I had the maps folder out of the .iwd file. Then I erased the HD. I lost the important part - all the scripts.

I've been trying to scan my data partition with a file recovery software, but it takes hours to deep scan a 600Gb partition, and I need to work in this pc, it's the only one I have.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

And btw, I had to wait a few days before I could have this pc working so I could open my HD to access some documents from work. I had to rewrite an entire paper, the deadline was before I accessed my HD.
My last backup was 2 weeks before the crash, and I needed the stuff I made during those weeks.
I'm now using Dropbox to avoid wasting time (also using an external HD to backup documents very one or two weeks, like I always did).

Ni3ls
30th March 2015, 13:00
That sucks, hopefully you can recover it

Devil
2nd April 2015, 03:00
u guy's talk about cooling u'r CPU...lol thats a dream for me.My laptop CPU is hot like hell!!!a lot of time just shut down from over heating and in my coutry r like 53 grade on night X__x like hell here

Ni3ls
2nd April 2015, 05:35
Ahahhaaha, where are u from?!

serthy
2nd April 2015, 06:53
Ahahhaaha, where are u from?!
There is only one place I know of

Devil
2nd April 2015, 15:15
yeah...and the place is Sudan...right now my hsdpa net usb have like...80 grade wtf will shut down in next 10min :( i buy like 5 of this every 1 month XD plus net here 1 day near 12$ :(((( so u have 2 buy 5 usb per month and 12$per day... this mean like 500$ per month just internet wtf X_x + my biggest incoming speed is 570-700 kbps and this is the best service here...

Ni3ls
2nd April 2015, 18:57
Sudan? Didnt knew they had computers over there :P

Devil
3rd April 2015, 01:19
They dont xd...i have ;p i bring it from outside xd im european 2 ;p i hate this niggaz here,2 preistoric ppl :D just i sit here becouse a good job ;p

Ni3ls
3rd April 2015, 11:13
Watch ur language

Devil
4th April 2015, 03:31
thnx -_- i say somthing bad? if yes idk srry ;p

Tally
4th April 2015, 10:26
thnx -_- i say somthing bad? if yes idk srry ;p

Racist language such as "nigger" or niggaz" is strictly forbidden. Please do not post such things again.

Devil
5th April 2015, 02:41
[EDIT] any way i will not do it...i just come on this website becouse u guy's have good tutorials just not becouse other stuff...peace guy's
;)