PDA

View Full Version : protect iwd or gsc

qwrtyp
13th May 2014, 08:34
Have some way to protect the mod of read and edit? Encrypt or password...
I'm not talking about block download.
Thanks

Ni3ls
13th May 2014, 08:38
You cant put a password on a IWD. If you put a password on it, COD2 cant read it and it will not be loaded

Tally
13th May 2014, 10:17
Have some way to protect the mod of read and edit? Encrypt or password...
I'm not talking about block download.
Thanks

If you are wanting to protect your server files from the known exploit known as q3dirtrav, then the only known work-around is to:

1. Hex edit the COD2 executable, renaming the server-side file name "_svr_" to some unique/custom name such as (example) "_qrt_", then put this on your server and run the game from it;
2. Put all the files you want protected into an IWD file, whose name contains the new "_grt_" in its name:

zz_grt_01.iwd

That will not download to clients, and cannot be traversed because the hacker wont know the new extension name.

If you are also wanting to protect your server config files (so for example they cannot download them and get your server's rcon password), put the server config files in the server-side IWD file and your server will read them from there.

NOTE - you have to put them in a folder with a unique name such as "protectme":

Example:

+exec protectme/server-mp.cfg

Where your server-side IWD file contains the folder and config file: zz_grt_01.iwd/protectme/server-mp.cfg

Mitch
13th May 2014, 11:46
There is also using libcod (atleast for cod2):

http://killtube.org/showthread.php?1819-IWD-check-in-download

qwrtyp
14th May 2014, 02:14
i want to provide the mod for download in my website, for everyone to use, but not edit or read the "source code".
so this is not possible. :(
thank you all!

Tally
14th May 2014, 04:44
i want to provide the mod for download in my website, for everyone to use, but not edit or read the "source code".
so this is not possible. :(
thank you all!

Only in version 1.2 and 1.3.

kung foo man
14th May 2014, 12:51

Just release an unobfuscated mod... try to step over your ego. :)