PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Win7 prof x64 + CoD2 + sound

serthy
8th September 2013, 07:40
Hello,

I finally switched from WinXP to Win7, and now heres the problem:
CoD2 won't start anylonger when a audio device is enabled:
http://www7.pic-upload.de/08.09.13/hsqf8ll38vy.png (http://www7.pic-upload.de/08.09.13/hsqf8ll38vy.png)

If i enable only one of these 4, cod2mp.exe will crash upon starting.
I also read alot about the microphone-bug, so I plugged in 3 headsets in the two backpanel audio pins and in the frontpanel one, i tried alot of different combinations, but no success at all.
I also updated the audio driver to its latest version.

My rig:
Win 7 Prof 64Bit
Intel i5 3550
Gigabyte H77-D3H
nVidia GeForce 9600GT

Again: CoD2 ONLY starts when Audio is disabled.

Tally
8th September 2013, 09:46
Run the game in compatibility mode: Windows XP SP3:

right click COD2MP_s.exe > properties > compatibility > "run this game in compatibility for" Windows XP (Service Pack 3)

serthy
8th September 2013, 09:53
Run the game in compatibility mode: Windows XP SP3:

right click COD2MP_s.exe > properties > compatibility > "run this game in compatibility for" Windows XP (Service Pack 3)

My fault, sry i forgot to mention this that i set the default access mode to WinXP Sp3 and as Admin
i also tried WinXP Sp2 and Win2000

Tally
8th September 2013, 10:17
Do you have the game installed as a 32 bit program? Is it a genuine copy/not a pirate?

I have Windows 7 64 bit, but once I enabled compatibility mode, everything ran fine. In fact, with my install, I can't run COD2 UNLESS I have a sound device enabled. If I disable all my sound devices, COD2 wont run. So, it's the reverse situation for me.

One thing you could try - uninstall COD2, so there are no registry entries. Then, from the COD2 install disc, go into the data folder and simply drag the COD2 folder onto your desktop. Then, turn on compatibility mode again, and try running it like that - with your sound devices enabled.

serthy
8th September 2013, 10:23
Do you have the game installed as a 32 bit program? Is it a genuine copy/not a pirate?

I have Windows 7 64 bit, but once I enabled compatibility mode, everything ran fine. In fact, with my install, I can't run COD2 UNLESS I have a sound device enabled. If I disable all my sound devices, COD2 wont run. So, it's the reverse situation for me.

One thing you could try - uninstall COD2, so there are no registry entries. Then, from the COD2 install disc, go into the data folder and simply drag the COD2 folder onto your desktop. Then, turn on compatibility mode again, and try running it like that - with your sound devices enabled.

I shouldnt panic before i really tried everything ;)
Of course I have the original CoD2! But i should do a proper install, I have just dragged all the files out of the disc and also from my harddrive.
Lets see in 5 mins, when installation is done.
BTW: your 'problem' sounds fun to me in this situation, hehe.

EDIT: nope, fresh installation, still crashing when sound is enabled :(

kung foo man
8th September 2013, 14:14
I've debugged CoD2 without microphone (so it's crashing) and the result was:

I guess this file is causing the problems, can you upload the Windows XP version of avrt.dll? The problem with debugging this is that IDA Pro is freezing/crashing also (lol).

serthy
8th September 2013, 16:24
in Windows.old (xp) -> system32 is no avrt.dll
i also dont have this dll next to my cod2.exe, only in system32
i uploaded this dll from win7 starter 32bit:

EDIT:
deleted avrt.dll
replaced
packed in cod2 folder
everything remains the same

serthy
9th September 2013, 18:56
I DID IT!!!

- plugged in a headset in the rose audio backpanel (probably did it in a orange-pink-colored one under my dark desk before...)
- set sound output to 16 Bit 44100Hz CD
- activated microphone in Soundsettings > record device (Aufnahmegeräte in german)

what i did before:
- run in compatibility mode Win XP SP3
- run as admin
- install latest VIA HD audio driver + latest motherboard driver

Thank you for your replies :)

Cheers serthy