PDA

View Full Version : CoD2 Startup Time

Jared
11th June 2013, 14:44
Hi guys I built myself a new computer a couple months ago and installed CoD2 on it. I was wondering if anyone would know the reason why CoD2 takes about 30 seconds or so to get to the main menu. The game launches and it sits on a black screen and then at the main menu after that time.

~As always thanks in advance to any help :)

Tally
11th June 2013, 15:13
Hi guys I built myself a new computer a couple months ago and installed CoD2 on it. I was wondering if anyone would know the reason why CoD2 takes about 30 seconds or so to get to the main menu. The game launches and it sits on a black screen and then at the main menu after that time.

~As always thanks in advance to any help :)

Sounds like a connection issue. You can test this: if you turn off your internet connection, if I'm right, it will boot straight into the main menu. You probably need to look at your ports, or firewall.

kung foo man
11th June 2013, 15:19
I guess you installed Windows 8?

The only solution I know about is to Right Click the executable -> Settings -> Compatibility Mode -> Windows XP

But then you cant adjust the gamma anymore.

Either blame Microsoft for not supporting special WinAPI-functions anymore or Infinity Wards for using not well-supported functions... no clue, I hope somebody will find a real solution.

Jared
11th June 2013, 16:13
@Tally okay I'll keep this in mind but I don't think its my internet. I have 50mb download speed and stuff and can play any other game online perfectly. I also have cod2 portforwarded but I'll check my firewall.
@Kung I'm running windows 7.

/edit
Tally I tried unplugging my internet and it still is the same problem. I don't see how doing that would change it anyway because I'm just going to the multiplayer menu.
Maybe I can explain better: As soon as I launch cod2mp.exe it goes to a black screen for 30 seconds than to the cod2 main menu.

kung foo man
11th June 2013, 16:29
Well, tested Compatibility Mode nonetheless?

Jared
11th June 2013, 16:51
Well, tested Compatibility Mode nonetheless?

Ah Compatibility Mode with Windows XP SP 3 works. Thanks a lot for all the help guys!

Tally
11th June 2013, 18:31
@Tally okay I'll keep this in mind but I don't think its my internet. I have 50mb download speed and stuff and can play any other game online perfectly. I also have cod2 portforwarded but I'll check my firewall.
@Kung I'm running windows 7.

/edit
Tally I tried unplugging my internet and it still is the same problem. I don't see how doing that would change it anyway because I'm just going to the multiplayer menu.
Maybe I can explain better: As soon as I launch cod2mp.exe it goes to a black screen for 30 seconds than to the cod2 main menu.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with your internet. I said a connection problem - as in something blocking COD2 from connecting. The game will take longer to compile if it cannot establish a connection. This is because the game builds a virtual machine, and establishing a connection is part of that virtual machine.

Anyway, it was that, and I'm glad you got it sorted.

Jared
11th June 2013, 23:55
I didn't say there was anything wrong with your internet. I said a connection problem - as in something blocking COD2 from connecting. The game will take longer to compile if it cannot establish a connection. This is because the game builds a virtual machine, and establishing a connection is part of that virtual machine.

Anyway, it was that, and I'm glad you got it sorted.

Ah sorry about that, thanks for the help though.