PDA

View Full Version : RCON/FTP Help

halojango78
4th June 2013, 21:09
Hi guys.

Someone recently crashed our server in CoD2. I was able to get his GUID, but I don't have his IP. I was wondering how I could remotely ban his GUID (ban him without him being in the server). I'm not sure if its a command, something you have to put in the config, or if it even can be done. Any advice on how to remotely ban him, or find his IP in the FTP logs would be fantastic.

Thanks Guys :]

KillerBoB
4th June 2013, 21:20
Write his guid in the ban.txt of the server :)

halojango78
4th June 2013, 21:32
Thanks! Really helped me out me there, brother :]

Earliboy
5th June 2013, 02:53
In what way did he crashed your Server?
(Any Errors/logfiles?)
May we could help you to fix that issue.

kung foo man
5th June 2013, 05:54
Yea, he might replace his binary with this one: http://killtube.org/showthread.php?935-CoD2-1-2-va%28%29-Bug-Patch

I dont know if his hoster is that flexible :S

halojango78
5th June 2013, 20:23
I'm not sure how he crashed it. I found his youtube, and i know he uses a command he calls "death" to drop servers. all he does is types in console: /exec death

After he does it, the server goes off and says something like "Attempted to overrun string in call to va"

We have gameservers as our provider if that helps.

Jared
5th June 2013, 23:27
I'm not sure how he crashed it. I found his youtube, and i know he uses a command he calls "death" to drop servers. all he does is types in console: /exec death

After he does it, the server goes off and says something like "Attempted to overrun string in call to va"

I think he is just exceeded the var limit 1024 or whatever it is :P

Tally
6th June 2013, 06:00
I think he is just exceeded the var limit 1024 or whatever it is :P

No, you are confusing va() with var. Over running the string buffer block va() is a well known Quake 3 exploit. There is a patch from Aluigi but it is only for COD2 1.3. There is no known fix for version 1.0 and 1.2. The only thing with those versions is to disable map vote.

Tally
6th June 2013, 06:12

Sounds like he is using the well-known map vote exploit, where you can overrun the buffer which stores the complete map list. This crashes the server with the error: "attempted to overrun string in call to va()".

What version of COD2 are you running? If COD2 1.3 there is an unofficial patch for it here:

http://aluigi.altervista.org/patches/cod2vawo.lpatch

You need a program named Lame Patcher which can be downloaded here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Other-Programming-Files/Lame-Patcher.shtml

The procedures for patching are fairly straight forward:

1. you need to get your servers COD2 executable;
2. copy the cod2vawo.lpatch I linked to and paste it into a .txt file, and rename it cod2vawo.lpatch (this must change the file extension from .txt to .lpatch, so make sure you show file extensions for known file types);
3. put the lame patcher program, COD2 executable, and cod2vawo.lpatch file together in a folder of their own side by side, and open the lame patcher program and load cod2vawo.lpatch file into it,
4. follow the onscreen prompts, and it will spit out a patched executable at the other end.
5. Then, re-upload the newly patched executable to your server. They wont be able to over run the map vote buffer any more.

If you don't have 1.3, then the only thing you can do is turn off map voting.

EDIT -

If you struggle with the patcher, let me know and I'll do it for you.

NB: DO NOT attempt to use the patched COD2 executable as a client. It disables certain functionality. Only use it for a dedicated server.

Ni3ls
6th June 2013, 13:19
No, you are confusing va() with var. Over running the string buffer block va() is a well known Quake 3 exploit. There is a patch from Aluigi but it is only for COD2 1.3. There is no known fix for version 1.0 and 1.2. The only thing with those versions is to disable map vote.

They also work on COD2 1.0 I use them on my gameservers

Tally
6th June 2013, 13:30
They also work on COD2 1.0 I use them on my gameservers

"They"? Who is "they"? Do you mean the buffer overrun exploit works on 1.0? Yes, I know it does. I never said it didn't.

If, however, you mean Aluigi's patch, it does not work on 1.0. Even he says it doesn't:

The patch is available only for the latest releases of both Windows and Linux
of the game Call of Duty 2 (1.3), older versions will be NOT supported by me so
don't ask.

Earliboy
6th June 2013, 13:46

Youre wrong ;)
Kung just made one for 1.2
Its just released since years, i got it running and it works perfect (windows&linux).

Ni3ls
6th June 2013, 15:47
"They"? Who is "they"? Do you mean the buffer overrun exploit works on 1.0? Yes, I know it does. I never said it didn't.

If, however, you mean Aluigi's patch, it does not work on 1.0. Even he says it doesn't:
With they I mean the patches. It's not supported by him, but they work;)

halojango78
6th June 2013, 17:17
It's on v1.2, and we would like to stay on 1.2, so we won't be patching it.

You said something about turning off "Map Voting". I believe we do have this off. We always have the vote option (where you can kick players, restart map, change map/Gamtype, etc.) turned off, because all too often it gets abused and never is used for its actual purpose. Perhaps I have voting off, but not map voting. This is what I have in my config:

// Allow Voting
// It is recommended if you have friendly fire on
// that you also enable voting so that players can kick team-killers.
set scr_allow_vote "0"
set g_allowvote "0"
set logfile "2"
set g_log "games_mp.log"
set g_logsync "0"
set sv_log_damage "0"

Is that what it needs to be set at, or is there a different command I need to put in the config to disable map voting?

P.S. Thank You to everyone who is helping me out. I've never had the quality of help in such a quick amount of time anywhere except on this website. You guys are truly the best, I can't tell you enough how thankful I am for your help :]

Tally
6th June 2013, 17:43
With they I mean the patches. It's not supported by him, but they work;)

Ok, I was under the impression it only worked for 1.3. Good to know it works for other versions as well.

BTW - why did none of you point this out to halojango78 already? Why wait for a small correction addressed to me to bring the subject up?

kung foo man
6th June 2013, 17:45

Yea, it is not a version update, it is just patching the bug in the normal 1.2 executable.

http://killtube.org/showthread.php?935-CoD2-1-2-va%28%29-Bug-Patch

There is no configuration, which prevents the bug, because the flawed function is too lowlevel (well, it may fix other possible crashes, but at least one way to crash will be still possible).

Ok, I was under the impression it only worked for 1.3. Good to know it works for other versions as well.

BTW - why did none of you point this out to halojango78 already? Why wait for a small correction addressed to me to bring the subject up?

I've posted the link to the patch on the 4th reply and you even replied to that thread. :D

Tally
6th June 2013, 17:50
Yea, it is not a version update, it is just patching the bug in the normal 1.2 executable.

http://killtube.org/showthread.php?935-CoD2-1-2-va%28%29-Bug-Patch

There is no configuration, which prevents the bug, because the flawed function is too lowlevel (well, it may fix other possible crashes, but at least one way to crash will be still possible).

I've posted the link to the patch on the 4th reply and you even replied to that thread. :D

EDIT - Ok, I see what you mean. My bad. My brain must have been on holiday today.

halojango78
6th June 2013, 21:15

You said something about turning off "Map Voting". I believe we do have this off. We always have the vote option (where you can kick players, restart map, change map/Gamtype, etc.) turned off, because all too often it gets abused and never is used for its actual purpose. Perhaps I have voting off, but not map voting. This is what I have in my config:

// Allow Voting
// It is recommended if you have friendly fire on
// that you also enable voting so that players can kick team-killers.
set scr_allow_vote "0"
set g_allowvote "0"
set logfile "2"
set g_log "games_mp.log"
set g_logsync "0"
set sv_log_damage "0"

Is that what it needs to be set at, or is there a different command I need to put in the config to disable map voting?

P.S. Thank You to everyone who is helping me out. I've never had the quality of help in such a quick amount of time anywhere except on this website. You guys are truly the best, I can't tell you enough how thankful I am for your help :]

So is it a command to turn off map voting?

kung foo man
6th June 2013, 21:35
Yea, g_allowvote 0 will disable map votes, but that won't fix the crash.

Did you wrote the support of your hosting company already? It should be easy for them to exchange the binary.

halojango78
6th June 2013, 21:42
Thanks for your help everyone. It seems the person who dropped our servers has stopped, I think I successfully banned him (thanks to whoever told me to write the GUID in ban.txt, that helps me out in many ways). I'll talk to Leadership about Kung's CoD2, I'm sure if the servers continue to be dropped we will put that on.

Thanks for all your help guys! :]