PDA

View Full Version : Character-Mesh issue

serthy
27th April 2013, 13:37
Hey

I test-rigged some models, but they are looking really shitty ingame..
the lighting is messed up (its dx7, in dx9 its the same with normal + spec maps)
i know, the blue model (aayla from star wars) is kind of low-poly, but the edges are too sharp..

another example:
image from the model viewer, it looks pretty smooth there
and from maya

is there a way to smooth the edges (the lighting, without modifying the mesh!) or did i miss something?!

and again, another example:

a cod5 model (rotated to see the smooth mesh, shitty lighting there in maya..)
and the same to see the different polycounts

okay, the left one got almost twice as many verts as the right model, but the lighting is really different
the models in cod will look the same ingame as in maya

whats wrong with my models? =|

kung foo man
27th April 2013, 14:06
To remove the shitty lighting in maya: in Scene-window click on Lighting->Use No Lights

Does the Aayla-colormap already have the shadows? I guess you would need to make them partly brighter in Photoshop/Gimp then. Otherwise its maybe a material-issue, which settings you used there (screenshot of asset manager)?

Loveboy
27th April 2013, 14:29
Hi, nice models!
I think you need more triangle, to make the model not very flat

serthy
27th April 2013, 15:08
Thanks kung, without the lighting in maya it looks pretty good in there: the way it should!

in assetmanager the material-settings:
materialType: model phong & surfaceType flesh, the remaining stays default (except for the colormap)
the texture isnt special, a simple rgb-colormap
i also tried ticking noDynamicLight and noLightmap, but it the problem stays the same
with materialType: unlit (no lighting) it looks smooth, but aayla is glowing then..

i dont get why it happens, the only difference between the models seems to be the doubled polycount, but then there should be also a sharp line on the default models!?

Ni3ls
27th April 2013, 15:25
cullFace needs to be set on "Front" I had problems too when it was set on Back

Ni3ls
27th April 2013, 17:03
BTW can you make a Tutorial how to make/import Characters?

serthy
27th April 2013, 17:12
if i set it to "Front", the texture is on the inner side of the model, "back" or "both" worked for me all the other times
but i tried it, issue is remaining

kung foo man
27th April 2013, 18:47
Maybe the normals of the faces look to the inside?

You can show them here: Display -> Polygon Components -> Normals

IzNoGoD
27th April 2013, 19:51
Maybe the normals of the faces look to the inside?

You can show them here: Display -> Polygon Components -> Normals

Although i have no experience in this kind of thing, this would probably explain why the "front" setting for textures makes it look to the inside, while "bacK" makes it look to the outside.
Unsure about what it does for the lights

serthy
27th April 2013, 20:09
normals seems to be okay, directed to the outside
the only noticeable difference between these 2 models is the different vertex/facecount

last month i got the same issue with some ripped cod-bo zom-models, theyre looked also messed up with their lighting

kung foo man
27th April 2013, 22:07
If you upload the Aayla-model, ppl can test around with it. At least I dont know what could be wrong anymore. I would just play around with the AssMan-settings :S

PatmanSan
2nd May 2013, 08:36
Try to average the normals
Edit Polygons -> Normals -> Average Normals

serthy
2nd May 2013, 09:52
Try to average the normals
Edit Polygons -> Normals -> Average Normals

really big thanks PatmanSan!
now it looks pretty fine in Maya, guess also ingame :o