PDA

View Full Version : scripting codes

zwortbanjo
9th April 2013, 12:41
can someone explain me what everything in a code means?
maybe it'll help me to discover how to script myself!

for example, just make a small code, and tell what everything means..

thanks!

kung foo man
9th April 2013, 12:49
Hi, its nice that you want to learn scripting, because its a very important skill in the changing world.

You can read this first, though its pretty short: http://wiki.modsrepository.com/index.php/Call_of_Duty_4:_CoD_Script_Handbook

If you want to learn programming seriously, learn C, then C++. After that CoDScript would be really easy to learn. You can learn CoDScript right away of course also.

Tally
10th April 2013, 16:33
Hi, its nice that you want to learn scripting, because its a very important skill in the changing world.

You can read this first, though its pretty short: http://wiki.modsrepository.com/index.php/Call_of_Duty_4:_CoD_Script_Handbook

If you want to learn programming seriously, learn C, then C++. After that CoDScript would be really easy to learn. You can learn CoDScript right away of course also.

It is not necessary to learn any other language before you tackle COD script. It is a really easy language to learn and is a fairly self-contained language, requiring no previous language skills. But like all computer languages it is one that has to be practised. Look at mods to learn how to script for COD. Look at stock GSC files. They also tell you the conventions of the language. But as I said, above practice. Write test mods. Write lots of them! It doesn't matter if they don't work, but what matters is what you learn from them. Enable log file and make sure you read the error reports in console_mp.log file. They taught me the most about COD scripting.

kung foo man
10th April 2013, 19:03
Of course scripting can be learned by try and error, but CoDScript has hard disadvantages:
- no debugger
- no professional books

Any important language like C or C++ got the best debuggers on the market and a mass of good books - does that help learning a language? Yes!

Tally
10th April 2013, 19:24
Of course scripting can be learned by try and error, but CoDScript has hard disadvantages:
- no debugger
- no professional books

Any important language like C or C++ got the best debuggers on the market and a mass of good books - does that help learning a language? Yes!

Yes, they have the help and books. But .... most C++ stuff does not pertain to COD script and so is irrelvant. It's a bit like arguing that PHP has more support because of its relevance to website design, but ultimately, if the program you are working on isn't PHP, then that's as much help as a chocolate teapot.

kung foo man
10th April 2013, 21:12
But .... most C++ stuff does not pertain to COD script and so is irrelvant.

CoDScript is heavily influenced by C/C++. Of course not the hard features like templates and polymorphism, but all the fundamental basics of procedural programming.

I remember my first days learning to program at age 13, being totally confused, what all this #include main for while etc. means, till I've readed through my book and got practice. And getting this practice with 5 lines examples and a good book for C explaining everything one by one is way easier, than jumping in the cold water of game scripting.

Well, everybody can decide themselves how they want to start learning programming, but learning C/C++ first (or parallel in parts) is way more serious. Which CoD-Kickstarter ever even implemented a search algorythm? We see on what level the mods are. If something gets a bit more complex, they pass up, because they are lacking basics.

Of course it takes more time to learn C first, but do we want quality or quantity?

Tally
11th April 2013, 03:25
CoDScript is heavily influenced by C/C++. Of course not the hard features like templates and polymorphism, but all the fundamental basics of procedural programming.

I remember my first days learning to program at age 13, being totally confused, what all this #include main for while etc. means, till I've readed through my book and got practice. And getting this practice with 5 lines examples and a good book for C explaining everything one by one is way easier, than jumping in the cold water of game scripting.

Well, everybody can decide themselves how they want to start learning programming, but learning C/C++ first (or parallel in parts) is way more serious. Which CoD-Kickstarter ever even implemented a search algorythm? We see on what level the mods are. If something gets a bit more complex, they pass up, because they are lacking basics.

Of course it takes more time to learn C first, but do we want quality or quantity?

The point is, you don't need to learn C or C++ in order to write scripts for Call of Duty. I know some very gifted scripters for COD who learned COD script just by looking at mods for the game. No prior language experience at all. So the argument that you should learn another language in order to be a "quality" scripter for Call of Duty just isn't true.

serthy
11th April 2013, 10:07
in short:
if you want to mod a cod-game without the purpose of coding ever something else: start with codscript
if you are seriously interested into programming, you should try to learn C first

i can say: i learned codscript yrs ago just by studying public mods and the standard gametypes + the help of community posts
it is very easy to understand, not complex at all
in the last past month i finally digged into C programming, and now i truely understand how this all works
now its your decision where to start

the point is, that finally YOU have to learn programming on YOUR OWN so there is no matter how you choose

good luck