PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Servers

kung foo man
17th February 2013, 05:44
Hey all,

are there more CoD's with dedicated servers available for linux?

CoD1
CoD1 UO
CoD2
CoD4
CoD5

Regards

Tally
17th February 2013, 12:18
Nope. The linux bins ended with COD5.

kung foo man
22nd February 2013, 05:43
Found http://fourdeltaone.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4618

Anybody experience with that? No clue how many ppl are playing there.

Tally
22nd February 2013, 07:45
Found http://fourdeltaone.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4618

Anybody experience with that? No clue how many ppl are playing there.

Ah! That's AlterIWNet by a different name, playing MW2. The creator NTAuthority decompiled the game back to source, recompiled it with COD4 netcode, and made public dedicated server files out of it. AlterIWNet got a cease and desist notice from Activision because it allowed pirated copies of the game and its Downloadable Content to be played on the network, and AlterIWNet is no more. So, after AlterIWNet shut down, NTAuthority reinvented it without the ability to use pirated content and called it FourDeltaOne. It is also doomed to receive a cease and desist notice as it still breaches the EULA for the game which specifically stipulates that you cannot reinvent the network system the developers created.

IzNoGoD
22nd February 2013, 11:47
Ah! That's AlterIWNet by a different name, playing MW2. The creator NTAuthority decompiled the game back to source, recompiled it with COD4 netcode, and made public dedicated server files out of it. AlterIWNet got a cease and desist notice from Activision because it allowed pirated copies of the game and its Downloadable Content to be played on the network, and AlterIWNet is no more. So, after AlterIWNet shut down, NTAuthority reinvented it without the ability to use pirated content and called it FourDeltaOne. It is also doomed to receive a cease and desist notice as it still breaches the EULA for the game which specifically stipulates that you cannot reinvent the network system the developers created.

Well, as long as he does not use the original files, there is no eula to breach...

Tally
22nd February 2013, 13:12
Well, as long as he does not use the original files, there is no eula to breach...

I'm pretty sure the legal department at Activision know what they are doing.

IzNoGoD
22nd February 2013, 13:23
I'm pretty sure the legal department at Activision know what they are doing.
I agree with you that it is highly doubtful it will remain online.

I just noted that I personally think that they will not be able to make a case solely on the EULA.