PDA

View Full Version : Custom headicon problems

EvoloZz
2nd February 2013, 15:26
I've started to work on custom rank system like in CoD: UO, and I am almost done with it, shader works, statusicon works, but headicon doesnt. I tried modifying some headicon related stuff in _friendicons and _quickmessages, but i cant seem to get it to work. The headicons does not show over the head of player, headicons are precached and everything. If somebody could help me with it, i would really appreciate.

Mitch
2nd February 2013, 16:19
What are your settings in asset manager? It should be 2d and blend for headicons.
(also for which cod is it)

EvoloZz
2nd February 2013, 16:21
I mean the .iwi files were already in the stock game, so thats not the problem

Mitch
2nd February 2013, 16:22
So you are replacing headicon_american.iwi? (this one is 64x64)

EvoloZz
2nd February 2013, 16:23
nope, in the scripts itself i am trying to set headicons for every rank

Mitch
2nd February 2013, 16:25
nope, in the scripts itself i am trying to set headicons for every rank
You can only set 15 headicons. (might be one more, but the limit is low)

Edit:

I mean the .iwi files were already in the stock game, so thats not the problem
What materials are you using? It could be that they have the wrong settings. I thought you were using your own custom images.

EvoloZz
2nd February 2013, 16:33

Edit:

What materials are you using? It could be that they have the wrong settings. I thought you were using your own images that you created.

There are only 8 ranks, similiar to eXtreme+ or something.
And yeah I used the same .iwi files for statusicon, so i am sure they should work in the headicons also

Edit:
I think its just because of the scripts

Tally
2nd February 2013, 17:58
There are only 8 ranks, similiar to eXtreme+ or something.
And yeah I used the same .iwi files for statusicon, so i am sure they should work in the headicons also

Edit:
I think its just because of the scripts

The _friendicons.gsc script will always override your rank script. I wrote the ranking system for the eXtreme+ mod back in 2006 and I had the exact same problem. You need to look at the eXtreme _friendicons.gsc file and see how I handled a ranking system with rank headicons.

BTW - you can use the same shader as a statusicon, but it will show through buildings. Use the ones out of eXtreme+ mod. It sets the alpha depth test correctly to prevent the rank headicons showing through walls.

Tally
2nd February 2013, 18:02

Edit:

What materials are you using? It could be that they have the wrong settings. I thought you were using your own custom images.

Isn't the limit lower? Isn't it only 12 max? I only used 12 in my mod, but I can't remember whether it was because the statusicon max limit was 12, or whether headicons is 12.

Mitch
2nd February 2013, 19:17
Isn't the limit lower? Isn't it only 12 max? I only used 12 in my mod, but I can't remember whether it was because the statusicon max limit was 12, or whether headicons is 12.
I forgot the right limit. I have seen the error message that says this limit.

Edit: I just checked and it is 15.

******* script runtime error *******
Too many player head icons precached. Max allowed is 15: (file 'maps/mp/gametypes/_ranks.gsc', line 129)
precacheHeadIcon(level.ranks[i].hud_icon);

Tally
2nd February 2013, 20:57
I forgot the right limit. I have seen the error message that says this limit.

Edit: I just checked and it is 15.

******* script runtime error *******
Too many player head icons precached. Max allowed is 15: (file 'maps/mp/gametypes/_ranks.gsc', line 129)
precacheHeadIcon(level.ranks[i].hud_icon);

I remember now why I only used 12 headicons - because you can only use 12 statusicons. If you want to synchronize the statusicons with headicons, you can only use 12 of each, because of the engine limit on statusicons - in other words, you can't have more headicons than statusicons.

EvoloZz
2nd February 2013, 21:03
Weird, today i got error saying that max amount of statusicons is eight. Two already precached and i could only use 6

Tally
3rd February 2013, 08:11
Weird, today i got error saying that max amount of statusicons is eight. Two already precached and i could only use 6

Yeah, I'm going mad in my old age. I have 12 rank headicons precached, but there are actually only 6 ranks. It's just that the allies have their team icon as well, and so do the axis:

Allies:

http://imageshack.us/a/img507/8770/shot0055v.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/507/shot0055v.jpg/)

Axis:

http://imageshack.us/a/img811/7900/shot0003ml.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/shot0003ml.jpg/)

As you can see, I tried to replicate COD4's placings of the rank icons instead of the massive rank icon above the head like they did in United Offensive. So, I need 6 headicons for the allies to get the 6 rank icons on, and 6 headicons for axis, although they show the same 6 rank icons as the allies. If I used the United Offensive method and had the big rank icons above the head, I would only have needed 6 headicons, and used the same 6 for both teams.