Thread: COD2 Prop Flag Model to COD1 Via Blender

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Brigadier General
    Thanks

COD2 Prop Flag Model to COD1 Via Blender

Hello

I asked serthy to do this for me but he is busy right now with college work, so he suggested I ask someone else:

I have been commissioned to port my demon mod COD2 to COD1. In particular, CTF gametype. I am having problems exporting the prop_flags to COD1 using Blender. The exporter plugins by CODEMANX are so outdated they no longer work (error - Mesh faces have no attributes). So, I am asking if anyone can get the exporter to work?

Also, my main problem is with the differences between the COD1 engine and COD2 - in COD2, the waving flag is done with materials. In COD1, using the Quake 3 engine, it is done by manipulating the skin. This is done with something called "tcmod". The problem is, as the COD2 prop_flags use 1 texture for both flag pole and flag itself, the whole thing waves. So, I am wanting the UV map to be separated into 2 - 1 for the pole and 1 for the flag itself.

Third problem - the COD2 prop_flag model has too many vertices on the flag itself. When you use the Quake 3 "tcmod" to flag, the flag ripples quite dramatically. I would want the number of vertices reduced to about 4. The flag model from United Offensive uses 4 vertices for the whole face of the flag, creating a nice ripple effect.

If someone could do these things for me I would be eternally grateful. Given enough time I could probably get Blender to start exporting again, but I simply don't have the time. I only need 1 prop_flag and 1 prop_flag_carry model done. Also, I need to use XMODEL_EXPORT v5 as v6 is very different from COD1, as Infinity Ward used 3D Studio Max, and the format of the export file is very different. I can do a lot of it by editing the file by hand, but the primary information must be in v5 format.

As I say, I will be eternally grateful to anyone doing this for me.

this is as far as I have gotten so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shot0000.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	339.8 KB 
ID:	782

I did this about a year or so ago, when the Blender plugin was working. But as I say, it don't work now! So, I am stuffed.

EDIT -

If anyone is wondering why I don't just use the UO flag models the answer is two-fold:

1. There are no carry models in UO.
    2. The flag models are not so much flag poles as telegraph poles! They are huge! And if I try to sink them into the ground, so as to show as much as I want, on some maps the model is rendered invisible. This is due to the shader manipulation settings for some textures on some maps - they use a clip definition which stops models sinking into them.
    Last edited by Tally; 12th October 2014 at 14:09.